Known for its striking landscape that includes pristine beaches along with red cliffs in the backdrop, Vagator is indeed the most picturesque town in Goa that has a calming effect on the soul. Besides its natural beauty, this idyllic destination is steeped in rave culture and is popularly known as a hippie haven. Also emerging as the most exotic Goan locale, Vagator is where usually western backpackers are in larger numbers than any other place in Goa. Dotted with sea-view bars and pubs from where you can grab the most amazing views of sunset, swanky and ultra luxurious resorts for lodging, chic cafes and fine-dine restaurants to treat your palette, water sports activities and whatnot, this impressive neighborhood in North Goa is a heady mix of classy experiences. So head to Vagator for an extraordinary and unforgettable vacation.
Best Time to Visit Vagator
The ideal time to visit this charming coastal town is between November to March as during this time of the year the weather is refreshing and enjoyable. Also, if you are looking for some water sports indulgence, this is the perfect time as you will get a chance to enjoy many hair raising activities in this part of the country.
History of Vagator
There is no evident history related to Vagator as such other than etymological reference of its name. Vagator is derived from two different words, ‘Vaga’ which means tiger and ‘tor’ which means shore. Due to the close proximity between thickly forested Vagator hills and Sahyadri ranges, many tigers used to visit here in search of sweet water and that is how this place in Goa was eventually named as Vagator.
Things To Do in Vagator & Places to Visit
Located in the Bardez district of North Goa, Vagator beach boasts hills on one side and headland on the other and is divided into two parts, Big Vagator and Little Vagator. Due to its strategic location, there are plenty of things to do and places to visit in Vagator. Check out 10 best things that are totally unmissable!
1. Savor the beauty of Sunset. You can grab the most spectacular sunset view from Vagator beach resorts and seaside bars. This place in Goa is really famous for its breathtaking vistas which is the biggest crowd puller of this place.
2. Indulge in water sports activities. Besides being famous for its natural beauty and serene environ, Vagator is also a place for adventure seekers. Parasailing, banana rides, jet skiing, speed boating etc are some of the thrilling activities that can be enjoyed at Vagator beach.
3. Enjoy the trance scene and nightlife. Being next after Anjuna, Vagator is one of the best places in Goa where you can expect a sparkling nightlife scene. There are a number of bars and clubs like Hilltop that are super duper buzzing and can make anyone go wild on the music.
4. Take part in Sunburn Fest. This side of Goa has also emerged as the latest venue for the iconic Sunburn festival which is a dream fest for all music lovers. Many music aficionados visit Vagator to take part in Sunburn.
5. Visit Chapora Fort. One of the most popular tourist destinations in Goa, Chapora Fort is a must visit place for picturesque views of River Chapora and surreal surroundings. This historical fort was built by Adil Shah who ruled Goa for a brief time.
6. Pay Homage at Churches. Churches of Goa are the best tourist attractions and Vagator is not left behind. Home to ancient churches like St. Alex’s Church, Our Lady of Piety and many more, visiting here will be a great experience for travelers.
7. Shopping at Anjuna Flea Market. Vagator is fringed by Anjuna at one side hence it's easy to commute to the famous flea market and shop till you drop. There are accessories, handicrafts, clothes, jewelry, trinkets and whatnot at dirt cheap prices.
8. Beach hopping. Apart from visiting Vagator Beach and Ozran Beach typically known as Big Vagator and Little Vagator, you can consider hopping to other beaches in North Goa such as Morjim, Anjuna, Calangute, Baga etc.
9. Try delicious seafood and Goan delicacies. A trip to Goa is incomplete without trying its scrumptious delicacies which are famous everywhere. There are many restaurants, cafes and shacks dotted around Vagator where you can have a great culinary experience.
10. Witness Dolphins playing in the sea. Owing to its pristine coastline which stretches for about 100 km, Vagator beach offers a plethora of unique activities including dolphin sightings. Witnessing these friendly dolphins playing in the sea is a great experience for the travelers. So keep it on your wishlist while visiting Vagator.
Accommodation Options at Vagator Beach
The Orange House
La Gulls Court
Alcove Resort Goa
Jolly Jolly Lester
Omega Beach Resort
Ozran Heights Beach Resort
Popular Bars, Nightclubs & Restaurants in & around Vagator Beach
Mango Tree Bar & Restaurant
Tin Tin Bar & Restaurant
How to Reach Vagator
It is located at the last leg of North Goa and is separated from Morjim by the Chapora River. Vagator is about 16 km away from the capital city Panaji and easily accessible through various means of transport that are mentioned below.
Nearest Major City. Panjim
Nearest Airbase. Dabolim Airport (GOI)
Nearest Railhead. Madgaon Junction
Distance from Panjim. 16 km
Goa International Airport is well connected to flights from all major cities of India and international destinations. After deboarding, you can hire a cab from outside and reach Vagator in just about 90 minutes max.
The nearest railway station to Vagator would be Madgaon Junction which is well connected to all major cities of India. You can hire a cab or take a bus to reach Vagator from Madgaon which will take about 2 hrs time.
There are several buses and cab services that make Vagator easily accessible by road. You can also drive down to Vagator by your own vehicle as there are well metalled roads and highways which connect it to the cities of neighbouring states, Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Q. Where is Vagator Beach located in Goa?
A. Vagator Beach is located in North Goa, India.
Q. Is Vagator Beach in North or South Goa?
A. Vagator Beach is in North Goa.
Q. What are the popular nightlife spots in Vagator Beach Goa?
A. There are several popular nightlife spots in Vagator Beach, Goa, that cater to different tastes and preferences. Here are some of the most well-known:
The Mango Tree
If you are planning your trip to Vagator, do check out the tour packages with Adotrip. We ensure best prices and top class service to all our clients. Stay tuned to our special discounts and exciting offers by subscribing to our Weekly Newsletter. With us, nothing is far!