Sonmarg or Sonamarg which stands for Meadow of Gold is a hill station situated in the Ganderbal district in Jammu & Kashmir. The natural beauty of this place is amazing. Here, you get to explore the wonders of nature. The magnificent conifer trees make the whole mountain appear radiant. The snow which covers the beautiful browns of the mountains amazingly makes for a picturesque scenery to explore, cherish and experience.
The months from April to October are the best time to visit Sonmarg. During this time, the overall temperatures are quite pleasant for sightseeing activities.
On seeing from a historical lens, we get to find out that since the ancient period, Sonamarg has played a prominent role in the narrative of Indian history, as it was known to be the gateway on the Silk Road which connected the land of Kashmir with China and other Gulf countries via Gilgit.
As soon as India became independent in 1947, Sonamarg, which was then just a local town in Kashmir became an indelible part of Jammu and Kashmir. Today, this very place is known for being the base camp for tourist areas lying in close proximity, like Amarnath Temple and Ladakh region.
Major Attractions in and Around Sonmarg
1. Thajiwas Glacier. Sonmarg which means 'meadow of gold' carries its charm effortlessly. Being full of snow, this glacier is one of the most enchanting travel destinations to visit in Jammu and Kashmir. Located at a distance of 3km from the town and situated at an approximate height of 9,186 feet, this place is quite lovely to observe the charm of snow along with its picturesque Kashmir Valley.
2. Zoji-La-Pass. This beautiful pass is what brings together the Kashmir Valley and Ladakh. The Zoji-La Pass is located at an altitude of around 3,528 m above the sea level. This place is simply incredible to experience and cherish with your loved ones.
3. Vishansar Lake. Situated a little outside Sonmarg, the turquoise blue waters of this lake are surrounded by a lush green meadow along with the silver mountains. These mountains are situated at a tantalizing distance. It is quite a great place when it comes to enjoying some amazing memories with your loved ones.
4. White River Rafting. It is no less than an adventure ride. This ride is captivating enough to give you an adrenaline rush. And this is what most people like about this activity. You can also consider going for a long rafting expedition that starts from Baltal and ends at Shutkari Bridge located at Sonmarg.
5. Nilagrad River. It is known for its healing powers and this is the reason why it is highly revered. A lot of locals come here every Sunday just to take a dip in its holy waters.
6. Krishnasar Lake. Krishnasar Lake is located at a height of around 3,801m above sea level. The picturesque scenes from this place are mesmerizing. Surrounded by dense alpines, this place has a very cool and pleasant atmosphere. People visit this place quite frequently for fishing and to enjoy adventurous water activities.
Sonmarg is truly a wonderful destination loaded with nature's beauty. It is located at a distance of about 888, 2,243, 2,411, 3,064 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Here is how you can reach Sonmarg by the following means.
By Air. Srinagar International Airport is one of the major airports. The airport is located at an approximate distance of 70 km from Sonmarg. From there you will either need to catch a cab or some other means of transportation to reach your destination.
By Train. Tourists can opt to deboard at the following two railway stations: Udhampur Railway Station and Jammu Railway Station that are 250 and 300 kilometres away respectively. From there, you will need to get a cab or some other means of transportation to reach Sonmarg.
By Road. The distance from Jammu to Sonmarg is around 400 kilometres which take approximately 10 to 12 hours to reach the place. During a road trip, you will enjoy some spectacular vistas on the way to Sonmarg. You will also get the opportunity to witness the famous Banihal Tunnel Jawahar Tunnel which connects the Kashmir Valley with other parts of India.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here