A truly amazing place to experience the raw beauty of nature, Gokarna is replete with palm trees, beautiful seas, vast skies and the golden sands of beaches, but that doesn’t mean that is the only thing Gokarna has to offer. It is also a pilgrimage site for many - a great deluge of devotees flock here annually to pay their respects and offer prayers in the temples essentially seeking salvation. With its perfect shorelines and really amazing scenes, Gokarna comes across as an incredible Hindu town in Karnataka.
The best time to visit Gokarna would be from the months of October to March. During this time, the overall weather is very pleasant with average temperatures going up to 25-30 degrees. During the months of November to February, you will be seeing a lot of foreign nationals.
The word Gokarna means cow’s ears. As per the legends, it is believed that Lord Shiva had emerged out of a cow’s ear. Yes, that is how the legend goes! However, here, the cow is being referred to as Mother Earth. This exact geographical point is believed to be situated at the confluence of the Gangavali and Agnashini rivers.
Gokarna has also been mentioned in the Bhagavata Purana as home to the brothers Gokarna and Dhundhakari.
Another short anecdote states that once Lord Brahma sat in immense tapa to redeem himself from the curse of Lord Shiva. It was then, Lord Shiva appeared before him, arising out of the ears of a cow. And, ever since, the place is known as Gokarna.
If one more mythological statement is to be believed then, the sixth Avatar of Lord Vishnu, Lord Parshurama had created Kerala from Gokarna to Kanyakumari.
1. Om Beach. Gokarna is an incredible destination majorly famous for its beaches. And shaped as two semi-crescents joining with each other, Om Beach is an unskippable travel getaway to explore. On an annual basis, this beach attracts hundreds of tourists.
2. Kudle Beach. A few minutes away from Om Beach, Kudle Beach is all about chilling out with friends, parents or your better-half. The presence of kiosks and eateries nearby make it all the more fun to spend time here.
3. Gokarna Beach. It is nice to feel the soothing sand beneath your feet and warm air ruffling your hair. And this is exactly what Gokarna Beach promises to the tourists.
4. Shopping. It is a good place to shop around. You might end up having some really special souvenirs for your family and loved ones.
5. Paradise Beach. Also known as Plage Paradiso, this beach is located at Chunnambar which is near the town of Pondicherry. It is a little isolated and to reach here you might need to take ferries.
Gokarn or Gokarna is fundamentally a Hindu pilgrimage town situated on the coast of Karwar. Due to its pristine aura, no wonder Gokarna is an interesting blend of spirituality and travelling.
Gokarna is located at a distance of 1,976, 513, 2,148, and 689 km from Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, and Mumbai respectively. Here is how you can reach Gokarna via different modes of transportation.
By Air. Your best option to reach Gokarna by air is the Dabolim Airport (GOI). It is situated at an overall distance of 145 km from Gokarna. It is important to know that this place is managed by the Airport Authority of India as a Civil Enclave in a Military Base INS Hansa.
This airport was built in 1955 by the Government of the Portuguese State of India. Many airlines operate to and fro this airport with good connectivity like Air India, AirAsia, Spicejet, Go Air.
After you deboard at the airport, you will have to travel another 150 km to reach your destination. For this, you will need to take some means of public transportation like a cab or a bus.
By Road. Depending upon your location, a road trip to this place won’t be a bad option. You can either take your own vehicle or even take a bus to reach here. Here is the route you can take to reach here.
From Bangalore, the bus price would cost you about Rs.500-Rs.600. From Mysore, the bus price would cost you around Rs.700. From Panaji, travelling by bus would cost you about Rs.700.
By Train. Gokarna Road Railway Station is located on the Konkan railway line. Here is how you can reach Gokarna via train routes. After you deboard at the station, you will need to board a cab or some other means of transportation like a bus to reach your respective destination.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Leave a Reply: