Are you looking for a life partner? Well, then you ought to visit Tarnetar Mela in Gujarat where you can find your significant other. The amazing fair is mainly organized to find your partner but that does not mean it has any less entertainment for people who are not into romantic pursuits.
The fair also showcases the folk art of the state and their performances are not just entertaining but so intriguing that they keep you hooked on it until the end.
Dance and music of Tarnetar Mela is one thing that you shouldn’t miss out on, for sure. A whopping number of people attend this beautiful fair every year in Saurashtra, Gujarat.
Each year, Tarnetar Mela attracts over 50,000 people and is now one of the most important fairs of Saurashtra. The main castes that actively participate in this festival are Kolis, Khants, Kathis, Harijans, Rabaris, Kanbis Charans, Bharwads, and Desh-Rabaris.
With its continuously growing reputation, it is now attracting people from all over the country as well.
As per the legends, Tarnetar Mela is being organised since antiquity. Its origin is linked to the swayamvar of Draupadi.
During the swayamvar, one of the Pandavas, Arjuna performed a fiendishly difficult task of piercing the rotating fish’s eye with his arrow, just by looking at its reflection. Achieving this feat, he won the hand of Draupadi.
Historically, this festival finds its origin some 200-250 years back. The Tarnetar Mela is held near the temple of lord Triniteshwar Mahadev which is located near the banks of a rivulet.
It is believed that the Ganga River used to flow through this point in the past. People now also take a holy dip in the temple tank, which is known to be extremely auspicious.
1. Fun and Food. There are stalls for food, games, etc. which can keep your children engaged as well. The tourism of the state offers packages for people coming to visit the Tarnetar Fair and provide them accommodation and more.
2. Gujarat’s Heritage. Tarnetar Mela showcases Gujarat’s music, folk-dance, arts, and costumes. It is also about young men and women of the state finding an ideal marriage partner for themselves.
3. Special Dances. The dancers here are like no other. The drum is played all through the day while dancers surge in circular movement following the beat of the drums. A variety of folk dances are also performed. The most famous one is the Raas. Similar to Garba, here dancers hold little sticks and clack against those of nearby dancers. It has been a record that as many as 200 women take part in this dance. Mostly, the tunes of jodia pavas (double flutes) are played.
4. Shopping. The Tarnetar Mela puts on display beautiful local handicrafts which you can’t find anywhere else. Also, you can buy traditional attire with tiny mirror embroidery, ethnic jewellery, and even statues of deities.
5. Fun Activities. There are a lot of amazing rides here such as merry-go-round, roller-coaster, etc. There are also magic shows and photographers’ stalls. You can also get yourself a tattoo here as many tattoo artists attend the do as well.
To travel to Tarnetar, you will have to cover a total distance of about 1,072, 675, 2,151, 1,640 km from major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Check out the following details on how you can reach here.
By Air. The nearest domestic airport is the Rajkot Airport (RAJ) located 70-90 km away and the nearest international airport is in Ahmedabad, i.e., Ahmedabad Airport (AMD) situated around 200 km from the village. Both the airports receive direct and connecting flights from all parts of the country hence travelling by air would not be a problem.
By Rail. Situated 15 km away, Than Junction is the nearest station. Many express and superfast trains arrive at the station from major cities and states of India. Saurashtra Express, Surat Intercity, and Somnath Express are a few regular and frequent trains to Than junction. From the station, you will need to cover the remaining distance by taxi.
By Road. One can travel by roadways to this place either in inter-state or Intra-state tourist buses or may travel to the village in their personal vehicle. You can also opt for travelling in taxis.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here