The beautiful capital of Assam, Dispur, is packed with panoramic views, unique traditions and rich tribal culture. Declared as Assam's capital in 1973, the city houses some of the most important buildings of the state like Assam Secretariat, State Emergency Operations Centre and State Assembly House.
Dotted with several Hindu temples, one can witness the distinctive culture of the state in its capital city of Dispur, which is also famous as a tea auction market and is situated on the outer skirts of Guwahati at a mere distance of about 10 km.
Enriched in flora and fauna and adorned with beautiful weather throughout the year, you must visit Dispur for a perfect vacation.
The weather of the city ranges from warm summer to cool winter. Occasional rainfall during the winter season brings down the temperature by a few degrees. Monsoon, beginning from the month of June, brings along heavy rainfall and strong thunderstorm. Make sure to avoid travelling to the city during this season. It is best to travel to Dispur between the months of November and March.
1. Sualkuchi. Located 24 km away from Guwahati, it is a place famous for its Muga Silk which is a special kind of silk that is golden in colour. One of its specialities is that it is only found in Assam.
2. Navgrah Temple. Located on the top of the Chitrachal Hill, this Temple is dedicated to the nine celestial bodies. As per Hinduism, these nine celestial bodies of the solar system are worshipped as Gods and said to have an influence over the life of all living beings.
3. Assam State Museum. A trip to this museum will take you to a journey of the state’s beautiful past and rich heritage. The museum offers an enriching experience and can be visited on all days except Monday.
4. Kamakhya Temple. Located on the top of Neelachal Hill, Kamakhya Temple is a place of great spiritual importance. Regarded as one of the Shakti Peethams, this temple is dedicated to Goddess Kamakhya who killed Narakasur, the devil king and ruler of ancient Assam. This will probably be the most spiritual place to visit during your trip, that is promoted extensively by Dispur tourism.
5. Guwahati Planetarium. It is one of the best astronomical research centres in the whole of the northeast region of the country. Installed with advanced technology from Japan i.e. Japanese Goto GX software and hardware, the planetarium organizes regular shows, seminars and workshops for visitors. Truly, this is one of the best places to visit in Dispur.
6. Assam State Zoo and Botanical Gardens. This is one of the most interesting Assam tourist places, especially if you love animals. Enriched with flora and fauna, this is a place blessed with the bounty of nature. Located on RGB Road or fondly known as Zoo Road, the Zoo inhabits some of the rare species of bird found only in North-East India. It also is home to animals like leopards, white tiger and African and Indian rhinos.
Dispur is a beautiful city located in the state of Assam. It is located at a distance of 1,916, 2,758, 1,032 and 2,984 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Following is travel route information.
By Air. Guwahati International Airport is the nearest airport from Dispur, lying at a distance of 18 km. It is connected to all major cities in India via regular flights. One can avail a taxi or even a bus from the airport till Dispur.
By Train. Guwahati serves as the nearest railway station to Dispur. In fact, apart from being a major station, it is also the headquarters of North East Frontier Railways connected with all the major cities of the country via regular superfast, mails and express trains. Once you have reached Guwahati, hire a taxi or an auto-rickshaw till Dispur.
By Road. State transport buses of Assam Government, as well as the private buses, run regularly within the state as well as the major cities of whole Northeast region. If you are travelling to Dispur from any other state, the city is well connected via many National Highways. You can either travel by your own vehicle or hire a cab or bus.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here