The erstwhile kingdom of Bhati Rajputs, Bathinda is one of the oldest cities of Punjab that is known for its imposing history and vibrant culture. The city is endowed with rich alluvial soil and industrial goods which makes it a prominent economic centre of the state. There are five artificial lakes in the expansive area of this ancient town which is why it is fondly called the ‘City of Lakes’. Besides its historical, cultural and economic relevance, Bathinda is also known for various religious centres that are dotted around the entire city and picturesque views of lush green surroundings. In all, it is a must visit place where travellers can experience the true essence of Punjabiyat be it culture, cuisines or vibe.
Best Time To Visit Bathinda
The most favourable time to visit Bathinda is anytime between October to March when the travellers get a chance to enjoy pleasant weather. Also, the weather during this time of the year is delightful for sightseeing, excursions and savouring the specialities of the region such as sarson ka saag, makki ki roti, gajar ka halwa and whatnot.
History of Bathinda
Located in the southern part of Punjab, Bathinda is one of the oldest towns of the state that has rich ancient history. Bathinda was a prominent town in the past and was inhabited by Bala Rao Bhatti in 965 AD. Infact, the city is named after his surname. Other names of the city were Bikramgarh, Tabarhindh, Batrind which are mentioned in various manuscripts.
The imposing forts of the city, Qila Mubarak and Bahia Fort have witnessed the rule of Mohammad Ghazni, Mohammad Ghori, Iltutmish and Prithviraj Chauhan. Qila Mubarak is also associated with the imprisonment of the first woman ruler of India, Razia Sultana in 1240.
Later in the 18th century, Bhatinda attained the status of a princely state under the rule of Ala Singh of Patiala. However, in the year 1947 after India became independent, Bathinda gained the status of a district in the state of Punjab.
Places to Visit in Bathinda
Bathinda is a beautiful place in Punjab that has some amazing tourist attractions that are worth exploring. So check out the list of best places to visit in Bathinda!
1. Qila Mubarak. Qila Mubarak fort is the most famous historical site in Bathinda that is situated right in the centre of the city. The fort was built by Vena Pal’s ancestor, Raja Dab in 90-110 AD and holds historical relevance since Razia Sultan was kept as a prisoner here.
2. Damdama Sahib. Located in Talwandi village which is about 28 km away from the main city, Damdama Sahib is one of the five Seats of the Temporal Authority or Takhts and holds religious importance for Sikh community.
3. Maiser Khana Mandir. Located at a distance of 29 km from Bathinda, Maisar Khana Temple is one of the important religious sites for Hindus where every year, two grand fairs are held. This significant temple is dedicated to Goddesses Durga and Jwala Ji and is visited by a large number of devotees.
4. Lakhi Jungle. Located at a distance of 15 km from the city, Lakhi Jungle is a must visit place in Bathinda as it holds a religious importance. The forest houses an ancient Gurudwara where Shri Guru Nanak Dev delivered holy sermons to Shri Japuli Sahib one lakh times.
5. Rose Garden. One of the popular tourist spots in Bathinda, Rose Garden is totally worth visiting if you wish to spend some time in nature. The sprawling garden spreading across ten acres of land boasts a huge assortment of roses and colourful flowers which are visually very appealing.
6. Thermal Plant Lake. Also known as Bathinda Lake, Thermal Plant Lake is a perfect picnic spot where boat rides can also be enjoyed. Visiting this serene lake is one of the best things to do in Bathinda as it offers serene views and a host of activities such as shikara rides, parasailing, group boating etc.
7. Bir Talab Zoo. The Zoo in Bathinda spreads over an area of 161 acres and is home to different species of birds and animals. Children love to visit this Zoo as they get a chance to spot blackbucks, deers, birds and whatnot.
8. Dhobi Bazaar. Shopping is an indispensable part of any trip and this market in Bathinda is where you can get a retail therapy. From beautiful phulkari dupattas to Punjabi juttis, jewellery, local handicrafts etc, you will find everything in Dhobi Bazaar at a reasonable price.
Click Here to Book Tour Packages
How To Reach Bathinda
The oldest city of Punjab, Bathinda is well connected to all major cities in India as well as the world through various means of transportation. Here’s a detailed list of how you can reach this stunning city through Air, Railways or Road depending on your budget and time.
Bathinda doesn’t have an independent airport, however, the nearest airport is in Chandigarh. You can also consider flying to Amritsar or Ludhiana and hire a cab or bus to reach Bathinda from the desirable landing destination.
Click Here to Book Flights at Reasonable Price
Bathinda Junction is the major station in the Northern Railways and therefore has good connectivity from all major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Rohtak, Ambala etc.
You can easily reach Bathinda by road as the city is well connected to the National Highways. Roads and infrastructure are great in this part of the country and driving down to this region is quite enjoyable. You can also consider booking private and public buses to get to the city.
Click Here to Book Buses at Best Rates
Frequently Asked Questions Related to Bathinda
Q 1. What is Bathinda famous for?
A 1. Bathinda is famous for religious and historical sites. It is also famous for agricultural and industrial products.
Q 2. Which is the nearest airport to Bathinda?
A 2. Chandigarh International Airport is the nearest airport which is about 225 km away from Bathinda.
Q 3. What is the old name of Bathinda?
A 3. Bathinda was known as Tabarhindh (Labb-ut-Tawarikh) during ancient times and according to Khalifa Muhammad Hassan, the city was also known as Bikramgarh.
Book exclusive tour packages, hotels, flights, buses and more with Adotrip and get best offers along with end-to-end services. We ensure the best price and services for a memorable vacation to all our clients. With us, nothing is far!