Also popular as Rural Olympics, this event takes place on an annual basis in Kila Raipur, Punjab, India. During this event, various Punjabi rural sports inclusive of cart-race, athletic events along with rope pulling are held.
Held in February, every year, many people come to see this event for various reasons; and one such reason is to witness the special breeds of bullocks, camels, dogs and many other animals.
From teenagers to even elderly people, all come to celebrate this cultural event to witness this amazing blend of festivities. It is a cause of fascination for many who come to experience Kila Raipur Sports Festival.
Kila Raipur Sports Festival started in 1933. It is said that there was a philanthropist named Inder Singh Grewal who thought about bringing farmers from the surrounding areas for an annual meet to test their corporal endurance. It was this step that gave him the idea for such an event, thus, the Kila Raipur Sports Festival was born. And now, after so many years, this sports festival has turned into an international event.
It is considered as the biggest rural sports event in India. Here, one gets to witness different types of races such as bullock cart racing, kabaddi and even cock-fighting. These are all energetic and fun-filled activities, not to forget bhangra and gidda which are a part of every happy Punjabi do.
So, no more puzzling yourself, just be a part of this amazing National Fair in Kila Raipur in the month of February. It is believed that over 4,000 sportsmen participate in this event. And apart from sports, one can also relish in various cultural activities and performances.
1. Kabbadi. One of the major attractions for sports lovers, Kabbadi remains the essence of this event. What’s really interesting is that players from different countries come to participate in this event. And owing to its popularity, this sport has also made its place in Asian Games as well.
2. Akharas. These are the places where local villagers learn to do Kushti that is a local form of wrestling. Due to its connection with desi mitti, wrestling is an indelible part of this sports festival.
3. Kite Flying. This is yet another interesting part of the Kila Raipur Festival. The adrenaline rush and the thrill which can be observed on the faces of competitors describes it all.
4. Sikh Martial Arts. This is Sikh mock fighting and is one way to keep the old heritage alive in these modern times.
5. Kokla Chapaki. This game is very popular among young children, particularly in rural areas. Typically both, boys and girls play this game. They sit in circles and a child holding the cloth in their hands goes around the circle singing. He or she has to drop the piece of cloth behind the back of one of their friends and run away. And the child behind whose back the cloth has been dropped has to catch his mate before they are able to sit at a vacant place.
Ludhiana is an amazing city known for its cultural relevance. This city is located at an approximate distance of 307, 1,600, 2,400, and 1,800 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata respectively. Here is how you can reach Ludhiana by the following means of transportation.
By Air. Ludhiana Airport (LUH), also known as the Sahnewal Airport is the nearby airport from the village of Kila Raipur situated at a distance of 20-25 km. This airport serves Ludhiana and its nearby regions. For covering this distance, you can take a cab or some other means of transportation to reach your destination from the airport.
By Road. Ludhiana has been very well connected with other cities by its well-maintained road networks. From Delhi, Amritsar, Mumbai, Bangalore you will need to cover a distance of 307, 141, 1,725, and 2,485 km respectively.
By Train. Ludhiana is connected via regular train networks from cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, Pune, and Pathankot. One of the best options to visit Ludhiana via train would be to deboard at Ludhiana junction. From this station, you will need to cover a distance of about 20-25 km to reach your destination.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Yet to be Announced
Leave a Reply: