An ethereally splendid place in Chandigarh, Sukhna Lake is a well-known tourist attraction among domestic and international tourists. Every year people arrive here to indulge in fun activities like boating, yachting, skiing, camel riding, and enjoying the sunsets along with many other fun activities. An interesting thing about the lake that amazes the people is that Sukhna Lake is a manmade lake at the Shivalik Hills located in Chandigarh, India. Not just tourists, the lake is visited by morning joggers and many migratory birds such as cranes and Siberian ducks.
Sukhna Lake remains open from 5 am to 9 pm on all days of the week. It takes almost 2 hours to explore the site. Months from September to March are great to visit the lake as the weather during this time is pleasant. Planning a trip in the summertime is not a great idea as the temperature in Chandigarh can rise up to 45-degree Celcius.
It is a rainfed lake that was created in 1958. This 3 square kilometres spread Sukhna lake was created by Le Corbusier, a well known Swiss-French architect, and P L Varma a Chief Engineer. Locals claim that Le Corbusier before the construction of the lake decided that the movement of motorboats and vehicles will be prohibited to maintain the serenity around the lake. A seasonal flowing Sukhna Choe (stream) was diverted in order to restrict the entry of silt flowing down from the hills into the lake. The lake has been one of the main attractions of the city now where people love to spend time amid a surreal ambience.
1. Sukhna Lake Park. The lush green space around the lake is great to have a tranquil experience. Locals and tourists arrive here to have a weekend brunch or a picnic with their loved ones. Moreover, the lake also attracts nature photographers for it has picturesque scenes; and bird lovers, for being home to many migratory and resident birds. One can also witness locals at the jogging trails in the morning and evening.
2. Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary. The Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary is situated at the foothills of the Shivalik range in Chandigarh. This reserved shelter for animals was declared as a wildlife sanctuary in 1998. Located 2 km away from the lake, the sanctuary is spread in an area of 26 square kilometres and remains closed during the rainy season. It is one of the best places to visit near Sukhna Lake.
3. Garden of Silence. A great meditative space for people who are looking for a serene and tranquil place. The garden features a sculpture of Buddha in a seated position at the centre of the garden. The garden has circular pathways and green cover where people can meditate or may simply sit quietly.
4. Butterfly Park. As the name suggests, the park is home to many species of butterflies. One may witness up to 35 species of butterflies here. The park is located in sector 26 in Chandigarh. One may also visit the nearby conservatory with enormous types of shrubs, flowers, and trees.
5. Shikara Ride. Enjoy boat ride at Sukhna Lake that is surrounded by hills and tranquil ambience. There are two types of paddle boats available here. One is a 2-seater while the other one is a 4-seater. Tourists can hire these boats at nominal prices.
7. CITCO Cafeteria. Coffee is that one friend that can cheer you up on a bad day at the office and can also be a great company on vacations as well. During the visit to Sukhna lake, one can enjoy the view while enjoying a cup of coffee at CITCO Cafeteria at Sukhna Lake.
8. The Souvenir Shop. The Chandigarh Administration provides you with an amazing souvenir shop at Sukhna Lake. There are several gift items, decor items, handmade artefacts and a lot more that you can buy for your loved ones over here.
Basically a man-made lake, Sukhna lake is all about exploring the wonderful beauty of nature. Moreover, the scenic backdrop of Shivalik Hills only adds that extra layered touch of oomph to this tourist spot. To travel here, you will need to cover a total distance of about 244, 1,658, 1,768, 2,420 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively.
By Air. In case, you are planning to travel by air, then you can book your tickets for Chandigarh International Airport as its the nearest to reach the Sukhna lake. It takes 35 to 40 minutes to reach the lake from the airport via taxi or a bus.
By Rail. Chandigarh Junction Railway Station is the nearest station to reach Sukhna Lake. From the station, one is required to travel another 7km via taxi or a bus to reach this popular picnic-cum-tourist destination. Trains from all the metropolitan cities of the country arrive at this station hence one may consider travelling by train for a comfortable and budget-friendly journey.
By Road. Travelling by road is a great way to explore any place as one gets to take the less-travelled roads and interact with the local people. One may reach Sukhna lake by road either by an inter-state tourist bus or by one’s personal vehicle.
Leave a Reply: