Shimla Summer Festival is celebrated every year in the months of either May or June. A riot of festivities and colours, it is organised at a really grand scale. A five-day extravaganza, it brings together men and women who then gather around and break into a melodious sequence of singing and dancing.
The whole idea behind the Shimla Summer Festival is to welcome the advent of the summer season. The celebration is also a way to thank the gods for the rich harvest. People also pray to gods during the Shimla Summer Festival to repeat this pattern over the next coming years.
This festival takes place on an annual basis and has been around for a long time, that is from the decade of the 1960s, to be exact. And what is really great about this festival is the fact that the Shimla Summer Festival is non-ticketed which means that you won’t be charged any kind of entry fee. Amazing, isn’t it?
1. Sports Activities. This festival starts with a half-marathon which particularly signifies the beginning of this 5-day period of fun and enjoyment. What is really fascinating about the Shimla Summer Festival is the fact that a lot of significance is given to sporting events, ice skating is one of them.
Also Read: Ambedkar Jayanti
2. Exhibition. The Shimla Summer Festival also allows you to have a go at purchasing some of the coolest stuff around. There are stalls setups with a vast variety of things like fashionable clothes, exotic food, and even artisanal wares.
3. Flower Show. There is this flower show that bathes Shimla in an enriching aura of really magnificent colours. Needless to say, the summer is just the perfect time for living this captivating experience which is full of exotic fun.
4. Live Performances and Competitions. There are some of the greatest live performances which are a must experience for the tourists and travellers alike. Along with that, there is a diverse range of competitions as well such as photography competitions and poster-making competitions. All of these fun things make this festival a super hit among the tourists and locals.
5. Fashion Show. If you think you have got it or just love being in vogue, then the fashion shows are just your cup of tea. Many local models and even tourists are encouraged to be a part of the fashion show where you get to showcase around some trendy clothes. Trust us, you get to see a lot more than just skin-tight jeans and big gowns.
6. Dog Show. If you are a dog person, it is time to take a close look at a variety of furry canines. From pugs to retrievers to obscure breeds, you will find a wide variety of them to cuddle here.
7. Art Is in the Air. Art is the main centre of the Shimla Summer Festival – whether it is the form of music, dance, or even cinema. There are a variety of folk dances that are performed here. There is also a Himachali Film Festival which is organised every year. Moreover, some of the famous names in music, too, come here to perform
Shimla Summer Festival is a fun-filled melodious festival that takes place in Shimla. The city is located 345, 1,750, 1,880, 2,525 km away from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru, respectively. Here is how you can reach there.
By Air. The nearest airport is Jubbarhatti Airport and from there you will need to take a cab or some other means of transportation to reach your destination which is the Shimla Summer Festival.
By Road. The overall connectivity via road is quite good. Thus, if you are planning a road trip with your loved ones then it will be a very convenient experience for you to reach Shimla Summer Festival.
By Train. The connectivity via train routes to Shimla is also quite good. There are regular trains from the major cities which connect with Himachal Pradesh. And the views on your journey would also simply mesmerize you to the core.
2 - 7 June 2020
Leave a Reply: