A city, a union territory and a capital of two neighbouring states, this is Chandigarh. It is one of the most well-planned cities of India and the capital city of Punjab and Haryana. Historians claim that the plan of the city was conceived and designed by a Swiss-French architect named Le Corbusier. Chandigarh is also one of the richest cities in India in terms of per capita income, heritage, natural beauty, and cultural significance. Rock Garden, Pinjore Garden, Leisure Valley, and International Dolls Museum are a few popular tourist attractions in Chandigarh.
The best time to visit Chandigarh is between the months of August and November when it is neither too hot nor too cold. The weather is pleasant during this time and apt to explore the city’s culture.
Chandigarh has derived its name from two words ‘Chandi’ and ‘Garh’. According to Hindu mythology, Chandi is the name of Goddess Chandi, an incarnation of Goddess Durga and Garh means fort, which together meant the fort of Goddess Chandi. There also resides an ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Chandi in Panchkula district.
Located at the foothill of Shivalik ranges, Chandigarh is beautiful and the planned architecture of the city only adds to and compliments the overall aesthetic appeal. Chandigarh is also known as the dream city of Jawahar Lal Nehru the first Prime minister of India. Historians claim that there existed a waterbody during the Harappan civilization but it is no more there because a large number of fossils of aquatic creatures have been excavated from here.
1. Rock Garden. The popular Rock Garden made by Nek Chand has a mosaic of art pieces and sculptures made of industrial and home wastes. Read More
2. Sukhna Lake. It is a beautiful lake at the foothills of Shivaliks. It is a man-made lake and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city. Read More
3. Pinjore Gardens. A 17th century Mughal Garden is something no one would want to miss. Its beauty in the greenery, fountains, and flowers is amazing. Read More
4. Shopping. Elante is one of the most popular and most visited malls in Chandigarh. The mall is known as the second-largest malls in North India. Food court, multi-plexes, and entertainment zones and many international and national brands can be found here.
5. Play at Tagore Theatre. Tagore theatre is a place to enjoy some intense plays and cultural programs. Many budding artists and performers perform at this theatre that has been named after the Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
Keeping alive its traditions through its culture and depicting modernity through its planned infrastructure, this phrase aptly summarises Chandigarh city. This beautiful city is also home to many fascinating destinations such as Sukhna Lake, Pinjore Garden, Garden of Fragrance, and Sector 17 Market.
You can arrive here to witness all these intriguing sites via different modes of transportation such as roadways, railways, and airways. From Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru one has to cover a distance of 300, 1,600, 1,700 and 2,400 kilometres respectively. Mentioned below are some best travel options that you may consider if planning a trip to the city.
By Air. One must book a flight for Chandigarh International Airport in order to explore the city. The airport receives direct and connecting flights from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru and abroad. From the airport, one may use the local transport to travel in the city and reach the top tourist destinations. You can travel with the following airlines via their direct flights to Chandigarh.
By Road. If travelling by roadways is something that excites you then you may either take the interstate or intrastate tourist bus to reach Chandigarh or may even travel in your personal vehicle. Mentioned below is the estimate of distance in kilometres and the best route to take in order to reach the city.
By Rail. Trains from almost every part of the country arrive at Chandigarh railway station. Kalka Shatabdi, Chandigarh Express, Paschim Express, are a few popular trains on which one may reserve a seat to reach Chandigarh. From the railway station, one may take a taxi or a bus to reach the desired location in Chandigarh. You can consider travelling by the following direct trains.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here