Undoubtedly, Darjeeling is a breathtakingly beautiful tourist destination which attracts thousands of people each year. You should definitely visit the place and explore the beauty of its tea gardens. Apart from the tea gardens, one of the highlighting features of the place is the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway also known as the Toy Train.
This train is responsible for transporting the passengers via the lower parts of Himalayan range to the lush green and vibrant tea plantations of Darjeeling. What is interesting is that it was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999. For anyone who loves to explore unique places, a visit to this place is an absolute must.
The spring season or the early summer season is an ideal time to explore Darjeeling. During this time, the overall temperature is very pleasant and is convenient for sightseeing activities. If you want, you can book the train from the official site of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.
The Gillanders, Arbuthnot and Company were hired for the purpose of constructing this railway line and by 1880 March, the company had done their job covering the regions till Tindharia village. It is said that the first Viceroy, Lord Lytton had visited Darjeeling on this train. Although the train originally followed the route to Hill Cart Road, the steepness of the place was more than what could be handled by these locomotives. Thus, in 1882, four loops were particularly laid between Sukna and Gayabari. This line was further extended to the Bazar of Darjeeling by 1886.
1. Tiger Hill. Know how the very first rays of the sun hitting the twin peaks of Kangchenjunga feel like by visiting the Tiger Hill. The charm of this place is simply terrific. You won't be able to forget the sight of the sun rising from behind the mountains amid the cotton clouds.
2. Batasia Loop. Located at a distance of 5km from Darjeeling. The Batasia Loop is specifically a spiral railway track where the toy train can take a complete 360-degree turn descending around 140 ft as it completes the loop through a large circular area.
3. Nightingale Park. The nightingale Park was also known as The Shrubbery is an ideal spot for spending quality time with your loved ones. It is open till 8 pm and the visitors have to pay a minor entry fee of INR 10.
4. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute. This institute is known as HMI Darjeeling. The very purpose of this institute is to encourage mountaineering as an organized sport within India. Here, the students can find courses ranging from basic to advanced levels.
5. Peace Pagoda. This is the kind of place to explore if you are a spiritual enthusiast. As per history, the foundation of Peace Pagoda was laid on November 3 by Nichidatsu Fujii. And according to the Lotus Sutra, the appearance of the pagoda in itself is no less than an embodiment of Lord Buddha.
By Air. The Bagdogra airport is the nearest airport. It has overall good connectivity with other Indian cities. After deboarding your flight, you will have to either take a taxi or some other means of transportation to reach here.
By Road. There is a regular bus service from Siliguri to Darjeeling. And the overall road connectivity is also quite good. So, depending upon your location and budget, you can either hire a cab or a bus, otherwise, you can plan a road trip with your loved ones in your own vehicle.
By Train. The nearest railway station is located at New Jalpaiguri which connects this place with all the major cities. Your journey via train would be quite convenient. After deboarding from the train, you will need to cover the remaining distance by some means of public transportation.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here.
Leave a Reply: