Surrounded by pine trees, Shillong is a hill station located in the North-eastern part of India. This city is best known for its scenic beauty, heritage, and traditions. Also known as the Scotland of the East, Shillong has various wonderful waterfalls to boast.
Apart from the waterfalls, the mountain peaks, museums, zoos, as well as its culture are a few prominent reasons why tourists visit Shillong more often and you should pay a visit too.
Shillong has a very young feel to it. Be it its magical charm, unmissable beauty of its roads, the living bridges, or the caving activities, this beauty will give you many reasons to not just visit it but experience it as well.
And it is the blend of these gorgeous things that make Shillong an unforgettable tourist destination in India.
The best time to visit Shillong would be between the months of September and May. During this time, the overall climate is very good for sightseeing.
Talking about summer, this is a pleasant time too, to visit Shillong. The winter and monsoon seasons are also a good time to travel to Shillong.
1. Elephant Falls. These are one of the most famous tourist destinations in Shillong. The name of these waterfalls came from the presence of an elephant-like foot at its bottom. However, it is believed that in 1897, that statue was disintegrated due to an earthquake. Overall, it is a great place to explore with your loved ones to make some beautiful memories.
2. Shillong Peak. This peak is considered as the highest point of Shillong. From here, one gets to witness a dreamlike view of the Himalayas. What’s more interesting is that even a telescope is also available here so that the tourists don’t miss out on any opportunity to witness the incredible views of nature.
3. The Don Bosco Museum. It is fundamentally a theme museum that consists of collective information on the Northern-Eastern states of India. Thus, if you are planning to visit someplace interesting then, Don Bosco Museum is definitely worth a visit.
4. Boating in Umiam Lake. How about going on a boating trip with your gang? Boating on the Umiam lake is a very refreshing experience for the tourists. Historically speaking, this lake is of great prominence. This is so because the birth of this lake was due to the incorporation of the first Hydel Power Project in this region.
5. Angling. Shillong offers various opportunities to indulge yourself in angling. For instance, Umiam lake has innumerable species of fishes. Due to this, Umiam Lake is also considered as a heaven for people who are into angling. Apart from Umiam Lake, Dawki is another great option to indulge in this activity.
Shillong is a beautiful city of Meghalaya and is famous for its natural scenic views. Shillong is located at a distance of 2,003, 2,827, 1,108, 3,048 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Here is how you can reach here by the following means of transportation.
By Air. Shillong doesn’t have its own airport. The nearest airports are Umroi airport and Guwahati airport located at a distance of 30 km and 120 km respectively. Depending upon your location, you can choose either of the two. Shillong airport has very limited flight connectivity though, so Guwahati airport (GAU) i.e. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport comes across as the next best option.
Formerly known as Borjhar Airport, it is considered as the primary airport serving the North-Eastern states in India. Managed by the Airport Authority of India, this particular airport is considered the 8th busiest airport in India. Many flights operate to and fro from this place. After you deboard the flight, you will need to catch a cab to cover the remaining distance.
Here is how you can reach here.
By Train. The nearest railway station is the Guwahati train station. It is located 90-100 km from here. This station is located at the heart of the city. What is interesting to know is that this station is the first fully solar operated railway station in India. This railway station is considered one of the A1 rated train stations in our country. After you deboard at the train station, you will need to further cover the distance by some means of public transportation like a cab. Here is how you can reach here by the following trains.
By Road. Depending upon your location, you can consider travelling from the road networks. From Guwahati, you can consider taking a bus. Yes, there are many private as well as government buses available, serving at regular intervals. You can also hire a taxi for your journey.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here