Thirthahalli, a Taluka or Panchayat Town, is situated in Shimoga District in Karnataka State. It lies on the banks of the Tunga river surrounded by thick forestry. It is famous for natural beauty and mythology. Not only that, but it has also been a favourite place to many renowned scholars of India. It is also one of the prominent tourist places in India. The sacred temple of Sri Rameshwara is one of the major reasons for its popularity. Once, you are in the beautiful state of Karnataka, do make it a point to visit this beauty.
This picturesque destination is one of the most important Panchayat towns of the Shimoga district. As Karnataka is known for its humid weather conditions, make sure you are planning your trip during the winter season. That is exactly the time when pleasant weather compliments the scenic beauty of Thirthahalli.
1. Sri Rameshwara Temple. This sanctum sanctorum of Thirthahalli is something that will take you to the serene world. The Shiva Lingam of the temple is one interesting thing that urges you to find out the mesmerizing story behind it.
2. Kavaledurga Fort. This fort was built in the 9th century and was found with several past traces which are shown to the fort itself. Visiting Kavalendurga Fort can be an educating experience for you while you get wooed with the architecture of the bygone era.
3. Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary. It is surrounded by forests and River Tuga. It is home to over 5000 bird species. The sanctuary witnesses a huge number of migratory birds and is a great spectacle for bird-watching. Unique bird species are found here. Some of them are Median Egret, Little Cormorant, Darter and Snake Bird.
4. Sakrebayalu Elephant Camp. It is an elephant camp located 15 km from Mandagadde. Like any other camp, it conducts various activities which include bathing elephants, taking elephant rides etc. Tourists enjoy this unusual experience which has made this place a popular attraction.
5. Tunga Bridge. The bridge connects Thirthahalli to Kuruvalli which has an arc-like structure. It was designed by Sir M. Visvesvaraya. Currently, the bridge is a part of NH 13. It is close to the Tunga River which is a sacred river. It is believed that dipping in the river will wash-off all the sins.
Thirthahalli is a perfect vacation destination as it will rejuvenate you from the mundane everyday schedule and will give you a glimpse of ancient local mythology and naturally exotic sights to cherish forever. You have to cover a distance of nearly 2000km via NH 48, 797km via NH 48, 2000km via NH 16, and 346km via Bangalore-Shivamogga Road from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru, respectively to reach this town in Karnataka.
By Air. The nearest airport to reach Thirthahalli is Mangalore International Airport that is known by the name Bajpe Airport. After landing at the airport, you will need to travel for another 3 hours to reach Thirthahalli. Buses and cabs are easily available outside the airport and can be hired to reach the desired destination in town.
By Train. The nearest railway station is the Shivamogga railway station. The station manages the arrival and departure of trains from all across the country. Train journeys are comfortable and budget-friendly. After deboarding the train you may get on a local bus or hire a taxi to explore the town.
Bengaluru - Board Janshatabdi Express from Yesvantpur Jn and deboard at Shivamogga Town
By Road. Shimoga District is one of the significant districts of Karnataka which is well-connected to other regions of the state via well-maintained motorable roads. If you are planning to arrive here via roadways then you may reserve a seat in the tourist buses or may drive down in your vehicle.