Thirthahalli, a Taluka or Panchayat Town, is situated in Shimoga District in Karnataka State. It lies on the banks of the Tunga river surrounded by thick forestry. It is famous for natural beauty and mythology. Not only that, but it has also been a favourite place to many renowned scholars of India. It is also one of the prominent tourist places in India. The sacred temple of Sri Rameshwara is one of the major reasons for its popularity. Once, you are in the beautiful state of Karnataka, do make it a point to visit this beauty.
This picturesque destination is one of the most important Panchayat towns of the Shimoga district. As Karnataka is known for its humid weather conditions, make sure you are planning your trip during the winter season. That is exactly the time when pleasant weather compliments the scenic beauty of Thirthahalli.
1. Sri Rameshwara Temple. This sanctum sanctorum of Thirthahalli is something that will take you to the serene world. The Shiva Lingam of the temple is one interesting thing that urges you to find out the mesmerizing story behind it.
2. Kavaledurga Fort. This fort was built in the 9th century and was found with several past traces which are shown to the fort itself. Visiting Kavalendurga Fort can be an educating experience for you while you get wooed with the architecture of the bygone era.
3. Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary. It is surrounded by forests and River Tuga. It is home to over 5000 bird species. The sanctuary witnesses a huge number of migratory birds and is a great spectacle for bird-watching. Unique bird species are found here. Some of them are Median Egret, Little Cormorant, Darter and Snake Bird.
4. Sakrebayalu Elephant Camp. It is an elephant camp located 15 km from Mandagadde. Like any other camp, it conducts various activities which include bathing elephants, taking elephant rides etc. Tourists enjoy this unusual experience which has made this place a popular attraction.
5. Tunga Bridge. The bridge connects Thirthahalli to Kuruvalli which has an arc-like structure. It was designed by Sir M. Visvesvaraya. Currently, the bridge is a part of NH 13. It is close to the Tunga River which is a sacred river. It is believed that dipping in the river will wash-off all the sins.
By Air. The nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport. After landing at the airport, it will take around 3 hours to reach Thirthahalli. The airport is well-equipped with buses, taxis and cabs.
By Road. Shimoga District is one of the significant districts of Karnataka which is well-connected to other regions of the state.
By Rail. The nearest railway stations are Anandapuram Railway Station, Kenchanala Halt Railway Station, and Arasalu Railway Station.