Hampi Festival aka Hampi Utsav is an extravaganza which celebrates the existence of Vijayanagar Empire founded by Harihara I and his brother Bukka Raya I in 1336. It is a three-day festival which takes place at Virupaksha Temple. The festival is celebrated to commemorate the culture and heritage of the Vijayanagar Empire. Hampi, which is known for ancient ruined temples, is beautifully decorated with fairy lights.
It is locally known as Hampi Utsav or Vijay Utsav. During the festival, one can enjoy the folk dance and music performances. Apart from this, light & sound show is a major attraction of the Hampi Festival. If you are keen to kickstart the year with a bang, Hampi Festival 2020 in India, is a must-visit.
As Hampi Festival is dedicated to the times of the Vijayanagar Empire, it might be an ancient festival. Ruined temples of Hampi comes under the UNESCO World Heritage Sites which was once ruled by Harihara I and the successors. Due to its historical significance, the Hampi Festival is also called Vijaya Utsav. Exploring the Hampi Festival in Karnataka can be a great opportunity to know the culture of Karnataka.
1. Cultural extravaganza. Being one of the popular festivals in Karnataka, the grandeur of the festival can be felt at every event. Here at Hampi Festival, several folk dances and music performances are organised for the audience to relive the Vijayanagar Empire. Classical dance performances such as Bharatnatyam is performed by popular Indian Bharatnatyam Artists in India.
2. Jumbo Safari. It is an elephant march which was organized during the festival. It used to hold great significance during the Vijayanagar Empire. The whole procession will take you back to the Vijayanagar Empire.
3. Procession. There is a procession that includes a huge number of people. It is a very interesting parade that sees participation from both women and men dressing up in medieval military uniform.
4. Decoration of Raja Marg. As Virupaksha Temple was a significant temple during the Vijayanagar Empire, the whole Raja Marg Road, connecting the routes towards the temple, is decorated with fairy lights. This gives a happy and festival-like feeling which is purposed to welcome the king.
5. Light & Sound Show. Hampi Festival showcases the grandeur of the Vijayanagara empire through light and sound show. This is also one of the major attractions of this grand fair.
6. Puppet Show. One can enjoy the puppet show that is another attraction of the Hampi Festival. Several decorated puppets are just eye-delights whereas local stories woven during puppet show are really intriguing to be known.
7. Fireworks. The sky is lightened with fireworks and people come out in the streets carrying processions. In short, this three-day fiesta has everything that is entertaining and fun to be a part of.
8. Colourful Activities. You will hear musical instruments like drums, pipes getting played throughout the festival. In the streets, you’ll find decorated elephants and horses. At different venues, dancers, vocalists, and artists entertain the tourists and guests throughout the Hampi Festival.
If you want to feel the Indian history and the vibe of bygone era, then Hampi is one of the best places to visit in Karnataka. It is situated at a distance of about 1,867, 744, 345, 1,773 km from Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Kolkata respectively. Here is how you can travel to Hampi by the following means of public transportation.
By Air. The nearest airport from Hampi is the Hubli Airport and it is located at a distance of approximately 167 km. There are direct flights to the airports which operate from the major cities such as Delhi and Mumbai. From there, you can catch a taxi or some other means of transportation to reach Hampi.
By Rail. Hosapete Junction railway station which is situated in Ballari District of Karnataka is approximately 13 kilometres away from Hampi which can take around 15-20 minutes via car and more than one hour via bus. The station is well-connected to neighbouring cities of Hosapete. The railway station is equipped with several amenities including restroom, canteens, bookstalls etc. If you are travelling from any major metropolitan cities of India, it is convenient to deboard at Bengaluru Railway Station that serves pan India.
By Road. The road connectivity of Hampi is well-linked with its nearby regions. The city enjoys regular bus service from Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation. It will be easier to reach Hampi from Hosapete. Also, there are several interstate buses that connect Hampi with Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Goa.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
25 February 2020 - 27 February 2020
Leave a Reply: