Known for its iconic beauty, the town of Pelling is the second largest tourist destination after Gangtok. The main attraction of this place is its breathtaking and visually appealing views that one gets to see from Geyzing. Talking about the visually appealing views, one of the most highlighting features of this destination is the sight of Khangchendzonga National Park. The town of Pelling is also famous for activities like rock climbing, village tours, mountain biking.
The best time to visit Pelling is the summer months. During this time, the climate remains very pleasant ranging from 7°C to 28°C. During this particular time, one can see a lot of tourists and foreign nationals swarming up.
It is believed that the town of Pelling was the first capital of the state. And during the historic times, it was the Namgyal dynasty that ruled over the kingdom of Sikkim from the year 1642 to 1975. The Namgyal dynasty is often referred to as the Chogyal dynasty that means the 'righteous ruler'.
According to another anecdote, it is believed that this kingdom was established by the fifth generation of the descendants of Guru Tashi. Guru Tashi was the prince of the House Minyak and belonged to the Kham district of Tibet. Then, sometime in the 8th century, it was also believed that Guru Rinpoche, who was the patron saint of Sikkim, had prophecised that the Chogyal dynasty would rule the region in the coming future.
It is said that between the years of 1642 to 1975 almost 12 different rulers of the Namgyal dynasty had ruled over this land. Then in 1982, the 13th Chongyal who was also known as the Wangchuk Namgyal had received the title of ‘Chongyal’.
Major Attractions in and Around Pelling
1. Darap Village. This place is like an undiscovered breath of fresh air. Inhabited by many ethnic groups this geographical area is known for its exceptional natural beauty. Anytime, you plan on visiting Sikkim, you must not skip travelling to this adorable village.
2. Sewaro Rock Garden. A natural hermitage developed by the tourism of Sikkim, this place is all about exploring the lush green landscape along with the flowery trees. It is just because of this that the place is also quite a popular picnic spot for exploring in Pelling.
3. Singshore Bridge. Located at a height of about 198 m this place is all about spectacular views along with incredible sightseeing destinations. It is also one of the highest gorges located in Asia.
4. Kanchenjunga Waterfalls. Falling from a height of about 100 feet, the Kanchenjunga waterfalls is quite a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. Majorly, the people come here due to its brilliant beauty. It is a very nice place to start with, if exploring Sikkim is on your mind.
5. Kaluk. Situated within the lap of the Himalayan mountains, Kaluk is located at a height of about 1620 feet. It is a splendid place that is very close to nature. So, if you ever visit Sikkim then, you must not miss visiting Kaluk.
Pelling is one of the most tourist-loved destinations in India. Located in the western parts of Sikkim, Pelling offers a lot to its visitors. The natural beauty, pleasant weather, and the bucolic set-up attract a lot of tourists every year. If you are confused about how to reach Pelling, we are here to help you. We are providing details of multiple routes to reach Pelling. You can opt for your suitable route according to the budget and other preferences.
By Air. Bagdogra is the nearest airport to Pelling. Bagdogra is located from a distance of 143 km from Pelling. You can take flights from some of the major cities to reach Bagdogra. Prices vary from one city to another.
You can take a car to reach Pelling from Bagdogra. It can take up to 5 hrs to reach Pelling. However, the time may vary depending on the condition of the road and weather.
By Train. Being situated at a decent height, Pelling does not have its railway station. The nearest station is New Jalpaiguri Railway station. Several trains from Howrah and Sealdah railway station travel to New Jalpaiguri. You can take a cab or a car or a bus to reach Pelling. Due to the availability of so many mediums of transport, reaching Pelling is quite easy for adventure lovers and tourists.
By Road. Pelling is well-connected by roads. Almost all main cities like Siliguri, Gangtok, New Jalpaiguri is connected with Pelling. So you can hire a cab, a car or a book a ticket for a state transport bus to reach Pelling. Though the conditions of the roads are not stable, you can reach Pelling by road. Sometimes, landslide or quick flood causes several problems. Geyzing is the most preferred location to reach Pelling. Buses and Jeeps start their journey at 7 AM. You can choose any of the transports according to your budget and preferences.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here