Located in the Nagaon district of Assam in India, Nagaon city is blessed with natural beauty in abundance. Here, you can find the true Assamese hue. Being the 4th largest city in Assam, it contains a large number of population. The city is also rich in agriculture and mostly known for paddy crops. It is also home to world-famous Kaziranga National Park where the world’s rare one-horned rhinoceros are found. This is the reason, the place witnesses a number of tourists throughout the year. Apart from being rich in flora & fauna, the place has also been the centre for spirituality as it is also the birthplace of great polymath Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva who was the founder of Vaishnavism. Nagaon is one of those cities too where famous Satras are established by Sankardeva.
The city has most of the picturesque beauty of Assam. The beautiful and serene landscape of Nagaon becomes greener during the winter season, hence, making it the perfect time to explore the beautiful city of Nagaon. The Summer of Nagaon is also pleasant. One can opt his/her preferred time.
Nagaon was ruled by Burmese till 1826. After signing the Treaty of Yandaboo by General Sir Archibald Campbell (General of British Army) and Burmese Governor of Legaing Maha Min Hla Kyaw Htin, the village came into the rule of British. In the year 1893, Nagao, formerly known as Nowgaon became a municipality.
1. Kaziranga National Park. This world-famous park is the major attraction of Nagaon that is best-known for one-horned Rhinoceros. Apart from this, the sanctuary also consists of a large number of several breedings of elephants, eastern swamp deer and many more.
2. Silighat River Port. It is situated at a distance of 5o kilometres from Nagaon, it is known for its picturesque feature that allures every tourist to have a look. The river port also houses several temples.
3. Namghars. Almost every region of Assam is having Namghars which is a prominent worship place in Vaishnavite culture. Namghar means “House of Prayer” where devotees chant the name of Lord Krishna. The prominent Namghars are Bordowa Namghar and Bharali Namghar.
4. Nagaon Beach. The beautiful Nagaon Beach is the perfect getaway to enjoy fresh and beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Apart from this, you can enjoy several water activities too, such as banana ride, water scooter ride, water slides, parasailing, etc.
5. Champawati Kunda. It is a popular waterfall situated near the Chapanala area of Nagaon. The waterfall is surrounded by the lush forest that includes picturesque sceneries.it is the perfect day-out destination for locals as well as tourists. There are also several ancient temples near the waterfall.
A beautiful city in the Assam state of India, Nagaon is less-explored by travel enthusiasts. It holds a great potential of attractions to keep you in the awe. Here, people mostly speak in the Assamese language. Also, Hindi is quite famous in the region. The city is 2,048.2 km via NH27, 2,871.7 km via NH27, 1,142.5 km via NH27, 3,098.5 km via NH 44 away from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Banglore respectively.
By Air. Tezpur Airport is the nearest airport which is just 73 kilometres away from Nagaon. Once you land at the airport, It will take almost two hours to reach the Nagaon. There are frequent buses runs towards the Nagaon town. Apart from this, if you are travelling from other parts of India or Abroad, you have to land on Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport in Guwahati. The airport is located in Borjhar. The well-established airport is served with several renowned airline services such as GoAir, Nok Air, SpiceJet.
By Road. The Nagaon city is connected to National Highways 36 and 37 which make it easier to access the nearby places in Assam. There local buses of Nagaon frequently run towards the major cities of Assam. If you are planning a road trip from Delhi to Nagaon, the roads are in great condition to accompany you to your adventurous journey. Though it will be a bit overwhelming, still, if you want to explore it to the fullest, it will work for you. There are several petrol pumps midst the journey and roads are quite in bearable condition. So, it can be your dream road trip. Apart from this, it will be a difficult road trip from Mumbai or other southern states of India.
By Rail. Nagaon Railway Station is the nearest railway station which is well-connected to other regions of Assam. There is another railway station named Chaparmukh Junction Railway Station which is well-networked with other metropolitan cities of India.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here