Kanker district lies between the two biggest cities, Raipur (capital of Chhattisgarh) and Jagdalpur of Chhattisgarh state of India. Kanker has a history from the stone age. The town is immensely influenced by Buddhism which started back in the sixth century. The district is famous for the Madai festival which is celebrated from one location to another. The tribes from different places of Kanker district come together to celebrate the festival and enjoy the essence of different places.
If you want to experience the charm of Kanker to the fullest, it is best to plan Kanker Trip during the months of October to March when you will love to explore in the pleasant weather condition whereas different festivals will double your fun.
Kanker is situated in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh state of India. Previously, it was a part of Madhya Pradesh state (before the formation of Chhattisgarh State). In 1999, Kanker was declared as an independent district.
During the late time, the place was home to several saints and spiritual gurus such as Kank, Lomesh, Shringi, and Angira. According to the earlier traces, the place was greatly influenced by Buddhism. Once, it was also ruled by Satavahana Dynasty and left with significant remarks. The great Chinese traveller, scholar and Buddhist monk, Xuanzang has shared several references related to Kanker.
1. Kanker Palace. The most popular destination of this town is Kanker Palace and heritage of the place defines the ancient realm of the territory. The palace was built in the 19th century and was redesigned later. A wonderful palace to visit where accommodation is available for the guests and is among the top-rated resorts.
2. Charre-Marre Waterfall. Positioned at a distance of 17km from Kanker, Charre-Marre Waterfall offers a scenic view to its visitors and keeps you fascinated. Undoubtedly, an ideal destination to restore your energy and soothe yourself.
3. Gadiya Mountain. It is here where you will find the mysterious cave where a famous Kandra king used to hide with his family; alongside, you will also find a tank that never has a dearth of water. It is the best place to start your trip in this town and exploring the heritage as well as the pride of this place.
4. Maa Shivani Temple. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Maa Kali and Maa Durga and encircled with calmness and divinity. You’d find several tourists, especially at the time of Navratri, when devotees visit this temple to get the blessings.
5. Gangrel Dam. This is the most upstream dam situated on the Mahanadi River. The Gangrel Dam is the largest dam in the state of Chhattisgarh. There are several resorts here so one can easily enjoy different water activities and keep themselves entertained.
6. Parsu Tola. It is just a few kilometres away from Kanker. The place is famous for various water activities like surfing, boating, etc.
7. Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary. Although tourists don't know much about this place, the Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary is a must-visit. One can explore a variety of flora and fauna at this sanctuary.
To reach Kanker, you will need to cover a distance of about 1,314, 1,118, 1,052, 1,255 km from Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Check out the following details on how you can reach here by the following means of public transport.
By Air. Deboard at the Swami Vivekanand Airport located about 120-130 km away in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. The airport is well-connected to several Indian cities with good flight connectivity with many prominent airlines like Jet Airways, Indigo, Jet Lite, etc providing regular direct and connecting flight services. After deboarding at the airport, you can take a cab or some other means of transportation to reach here.
By Train. Kanker does not have its own railway station. Thus, considering your geographical location, you can deboard at either Raipur Railway Station, Balod Railway Station, Dalli-Rajhara Railway Station or Gunderdehi Railway Station. All these railheads are located within 100-120 km distance from Kanker. From the stations, you can easily book a taxi to reach your destination.
By Road. The road connectivity of Kanker is well-structured and easily accessible. From the neighbouring cities, you can easily get onboard interstate/private buses, take a taxi or self-drive here.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here