There's no more enchanting time to explore the paradise of Kashmir than the present. Kashmir unveils its true splendour from December to February, and the magic lingers beyond. As December arrives, a gentle cascade of snow blankets the region, ushering in the winter season. It's when the influx of winter-loving tourists begins and the snow-kissed activities come to life. December is your golden ticket if you crave the beauty of snow without the bone-chilling cold.
In December, the pristine beauty of Kashmir transforms into a winter wonderland straight out of a fairy tale. The best places to visit in Kashmir in December will expose you to nature’s beauty. Snow blankets the landscape, turning every corner into a breathtaking scene. Srinagar's Dal Lake becomes a frozen expanse for ice skating, while Gulmarg welcomes skiers from around the world to its powdery slopes. The enchanting Mughal Gardens are adorned with icicles, and the old city's wooden houses wear snowy roofs like crowns. Don't forget the cosy shikara rides and sipping kehwa by a crackling fire. Off-season travel in Kashmir in December is a magical experience where nature and tranquillity embrace, making it a dreamy destination for winter wanderers.
List Of 15 Best Places To Visit In Kashmir In December
The Paradise on Earth, a gem in India's crown, boasts surreal Kashmir winter travel destinations like Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Sonmarg, and Srinagar, all drenched in pristine white. The entire valley transforms into a winter wonderland, an exquisite canvas of nature's artistry. Let us soak in December Delights in Kashmir!
- Gulmarg - The Winter Wonderland of India
- Srinagar - Venice of the East in Snowy Splendour
- Pahalgam - Nature's Abode Blanketed in Snow
- Sonmarg - Meadows of Gold Transform to Meadows of Snow
- Dachigam National Park - Wildlife in Winter's Embrace
- Shalimar Bagh - Mughal Garden Adorned with Snowflakes
- Nishat Bagh - Tranquil Terraced Gardens in Winter's Serenity
- Shankaracharya Temple - Spiritual Solace Amidst Snowy Peaks
- Gurez Valley - Remote Beauty Unveiled by Snow
- Betaab Valley - Bollywood's Beloved Valley in Winter Attire
- Tulip Garden - Winter's Palette of Blossoms
- Leh-Ladakh Highway - A Snowy Adventure on the Roof of the World
- Awantipora Ruins - Ancient Heritage Amidst Snowy Vistas
- Apharwat Peak - Skiing Paradise at its Zenith
- Yusmarg - A Hidden Gem Glittering with Snowflakes
1. Gulmarg - The Winter Wonderland of India
Nestled in the Himalayan range, Gulmarg, one of the top tourist spots in Kashmir during December, dons its winter attire, transforming into an ethereal wonderland. The pristine slopes are a magnet for snow sports enthusiasts, offering thrilling experiences like skiing and snowboarding. The Gulmarg Gondola, one of the highest cable cars globally, provides awe-inspiring views of the snow-clad peaks. It's a place where the mountains come alive with the magic of snow.
- Location: Gulmarg is located in the Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir, about 50 kilometres from Srinagar.
- Top Things to Do in Gulmarg: Skiing and snowboarding, take the Gulmarg Gondola, enjoy a scenic trek to places like Khilanmarg and Alpather Lake, try ice skating on the frozen Dal Lake.
- How to Reach Gulmarg: Gulmarg is easily accessible by road from Srinagar. You can also take a train to Jammu and then a road journey to Gulmarg.
2. Srinagar - Venice of the East in Snowy Splendour
Srinagar's enchantment knows no bounds in December. The famous Dal Lake transforms into a frozen expanse, where visitors can glide gracefully on ice skates or take charming rides in wooden shikaras. Houseboats, adorned in snowy blankets, offer cosy accommodations. Savour traditional Kashmiri cuisine by a crackling fire, making your winter stay magical.
- Location: Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, is in the Kashmir Valley.
- Top Things to Do in Srinagar: Glide on Dal Lake with a shikara ride, experience houseboat stays amidst the frozen Dal Lake, visit Mughal Gardens like Shalimar Bagh and Nishat Bagh, explore the Old City's markets for handicrafts and souvenirs and enjoy a traditional Wazwan feast.
- How to Reach Srinagar: Srinagar is well-connected by air to major Indian cities. You can also reach by road from Jammu or take a train to Udhampur and then travel by road.
3. Pahalgam - Nature's Abode Blanketed in Snow
Pahalgam, known as 'Nature's Abode,' becomes a serene winter retreat in December. Showcasing snowy attractions in Kashmir in December, the Lidder River meanders through snowy landscapes, inviting nature lovers to enjoy peaceful solitude. Trekking trails like Aru and Betaab Valley are adorned with a soft layer of snow, creating a serene ambience perfect for relaxation.
- Location: Pahalgam is in the Anantnag district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Top Things to Do in Pahalgam: Take a leisurely walk along the snow-covered Lidder River, visit the serene Aru Valley and Betaab Valley, go pony trekking in the snowy landscapes, and explore the town's markets and savour local cuisine.
- How to Reach Pahalgam: Pahalgam can be reached by road from Srinagar. The nearest airport is in Srinagar.
4. Sonmarg - Meadows of Gold Transform to Meadows of Snow
Sonmarg, famously known as the 'Meadows of Gold,' undergoes a mesmerising transformation into 'Meadows of Snow' during December. Surrounded by snow-covered peaks and frozen lakes, this alpine paradise becomes a haven for trekkers and adventure seekers. The Thajiwas Glacier glistens like a jewel, offering an otherworldly experience.
- Location: Sonmarg is in the Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Top Things to Do in Sonmarg: Trek to the Thajiwas Glacier for breathtaking views, enjoy a sled ride or pony trek in the snow, explore the frozen beauty of Zoji La Pass and visit the nearby Baltal Valley.
- How to Reach Sonmarg: Sonmarg can be reached by road from Srinagar. The nearest airport is in Srinagar.
Wildlife enthusiasts are in for a treat as Dachigam National Park dons a snowy cloak. The park's residents, including the elusive Kashmir stag, adapt to the winter landscape. Trekking through this pristine wilderness provides a unique opportunity to witness these majestic creatures against a backdrop of pure white snow.
- Location: Dachigam National Park is near Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Top Things to Do in Dachigam National Park: Spot elusive Himalayan wildlife, including the Kashmir stag, enjoy birdwatching amidst snowy landscapes, explore the park's natural beauty through trekking and take in the serene winter ambience.
- How to Reach Dachigam National Park: Dachigam National Park is a short drive from Srinagar and easily accessible by road.
6. Shalimar Bagh - Mughal Garden Adorned with Snowflakes
Shalimar Bagh, a Mughal Garden, takes on an enchanting charm in December. The terraced lawns are blanketed with snow, creating a dreamy landscape for leisurely walks and photography. The iconic fountains and chinar trees are transformed into exquisite ice sculptures, making it a visual delight.
- Location: Shalimar Bagh is in the city of Srinagar, in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Top Things to Do in Shalimar Bagh: Explore the Mughal garden adorned with delicate snowflakes, stroll along the terraced lawns and take in the serene winter ambience, admire the historic fountains and chinar trees covered in snow, and capture the garden's beauty through photography.
- How to Reach Shalimar Bagh: Shalimar Bagh is easily accessible by road within Srinagar. It's a short drive from the city centre.
7. Nishat Bagh - Tranquil Terraced Gardens in Winter's Serenity