Two World Heritage Sites- Central Valleys of Oaxaca and Archaeological Site of Monte Alban- adorn the City of Oaxaca. It has Tree of Tule, a 2000-year-old Cypress Tree. The area is treasured with ancient monuments, museums, parks, and much more. In short, Oaxaca has it all for all. Along with gems of tradition, art, culture, and nature, you will immediately feel the warmth of people here.
Visit Oaxaca, feel the magic first-hand, and knit tons of wonderful memories. Refer to our list below for the quick reference.
List of 10 Places to Visit in Oaxaca | Gives a Glimpse of Traditional, Cultural, and Natural Gems of the City
Embark on a sensory journey of tradition, culture, and natural wonders. Immerse yourself in the wonderful art, craft, and colourful galleries, savour the authentic Mexican delicacies and soak in the sun on the beautiful beaches. Join us as we take you through the top 10 places to visit in Oaxaca.
- Oaxaca Cathedral | A Notable Tourist Attraction
- Squares and Markets: Zocalo and Mercado Benito Juarez | The Historic Downtown
- Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman | A Major Oaxaca Attraction
- Monte Alban | A Historic Settlement
- The Basilica of Our Lady of Solitude | Patron Saint of Oaxaca
- The Rufino Tamayo Museum | A Present by Mexican Artist Tamayo
- Oaxaca Ethnobotanical Garden | A Green Adventure
- Hierve El Agua | A Stunning Natural Surprise
- Playa La Entrega | A Beautiful Beach Near Oaxaca
- San Jeronimo and Santa Maria del Tule | A 2000 Years Old Cypress and More
1. Oaxaca Cathedral | A Notable Tourist Attraction
Oaxaca Cathedral, or The Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption, took around 200 years to complete. The construction started in the mid-16th Century. It was rebuilt in 1931 after damages due to an earthquake, an uncommon occurrence in this part of Mexico.
- Things to Explore: Neoclassical style in the interior of the cathedral, a wood-carved original clock gifted by the King of Spain, the Baroque façade, 80 finely engraved glass windows and much more
- Address: Av Independencia S/N, Centro, 68000 Oaxaca
Also Read - Best Tourist Places To Visit In Mexico
2. Squares and Markets: Zocalo and Mercado Benito Juarez | The Historic Downtown
Among the best things to do in Oaxaca, exploring colourful, vibrant, and extensive markets in downtown come first. You can visit Oaxaca markets for shopping, family time and more. Zocalo and Mercado Benito Juarez (covered colourful market) are prominent marketplaces of this World Heritage Centre.
- Things to Explore: the downtown is famous for festivals like Fiesta de Rabanos. These festivals and events are the best time to explore the colourful, vibrant markets of the historic downtown of Oaxaca. Visit Mercado de Abastos and Mercado de Artesanias for exquisite textile products.
- Address: Downtown Area and Major Markets Across Oaxaca
Also Read - Famous Festival Of Mexico
3. Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman| A Major Oaxaca Attraction
This splendid 16th Century Church is among the best Oaxaca attractions for its cultural, religious and historical significance.
- Things to Explore: An extensive Church complex with a Baroque façade and ornamented interiors, 34 portraits depicting the family tree of St. Domingo de Guzman (founder of the Dominican order), the eleven Chapels including the Rosary Chapel, a lavishly decorated altar with a figure of Virgin Mary known as the jewel of Mexican Rococo
- Address: Calle Constitucion #101, Centro, 68000
Also Read - Famous Foods Of Mexico
4. Monte Alban| A Historic Settlement
UNESCO World Heritage Convention has recognised the Monte Alban archaeological site among the cultural centres of Outstanding Universal Value, along with the historic centre of Oaxaca de Juarez. It is one of the best places to visit in Oaxaca for its pyramid-like mounds, tombs, plazas, and palaces with outstanding architecture. The site was inhabited for over 1500 years by Olmecs, Zapotecs, and Mixtecs.
- Things to Explore: The Grand Plaza (3300 meters long and 200 meters wide), Ball Court, Several Pyramids, Cruciform tomb, Monte Alban Ruins Museum, San Jose Mogote
- Address: 8 km west of Oaxaca
5. The Basilica of Our Lady of Solitude| Patron Saint of Oaxaca
It is among the best things to see in Oaxaca for its religious significance, architectural excellence and value for local people. The monument is made of green Cantera, exclusively found in this area. It was constructed in 1686.
- Things to Explore: Figure of Virgen de la Soledad in black clothes with gold and other precious stone work, old Baroque organ, nearby churches including San Felipe Neri, San Juan de Dios, San Agustin
- Address: El Calvario 107, Centro, 68000
6. The Rufino Tamayo Museum| A Present by Mexican Artist Tamayo
It is among the best Oaxaca tourist attractions for art lovers. The Ruffino Tamayo Museum is a gift from the famous Mexican artist Tamayo. If you are looking for amazing exhibits and artworks from different eras, this is where you want to be.
- Things to Explore: Archaeological elements from different Indian cultures from across Mexico, 1000 historical artefacts covering the lifeline of Tamayo, an exhibit of Pre-Columbian art, Graphic Arts Institute of Oaxaca established by Francisco Toledo
- Address: Av Morelos 503, Centro, 68000, nearby Zocalo (main square in Oaxaca)
7. Oaxaca Ethnobotanical Garden| A Green Adventure
Oaxaca tourists looking for a family outing, some relaxed time with nature, and unwinding away from the chaos of cities should take their green adventure at Oaxaca Ethnobotanical Garden. Spread over 2.5 acres, the garden lies near the Church of Santo Domingo de Guzman and opened to the public in 1998 with much fanfare. Take your kids for some fun activities while you click some beautiful moments.
- Things to Explore: The garden was created by local artists of Oaxaca, influenced by the culture and history of the city, evident across the Garden area. Other highlights include a rescue zone, an extensive variety of native species, medicinal plants, and more.
- Address: Reforma Sur n, Ruta Independencia, Centro 68000
8. Hierve El Agua| A Stunning Natural Surprise
Oaxaca offers something for everyone from art lovers to history buffs to adventure seekers in the lap of nature. Visiting Hierve El Agua, a geographical wonder, is one of the best things to do in Oaxaca. It is a historical, geographical site including two rock formations-natural springs and a petrified waterfall.
Hierve El Agua literally means Boiling Water. It is one of the most visited Oaxaca tourist attractions and should be on the top of your itinerary list.
- Things to Explore: Two yellowish mineral pools on the top of the falls, an ancient place of Zapotecs, natural travertine rock formations, jungle-covered mountains
- Address: 45 Km East of Oaxaca City
9. Playa La Entrega| A Beautiful Beach Near Oaxaca