Tiffin Top is a brilliant travel getaway situated in Uttarakhand. While initially, it was called Dorothy’s Seat, this place got its another name after many tourists and locals started having lunch on the top of this hill. This beauty oozes nothing but charm, that will soothe your mind and relax your brain. Perhaps that is another reason why tourists, and especially, photographers fail to resist themselves from visiting this serene place time and again.
For the unversed, it was named Dorothy’s Seat after an English artist, Dorothy Kellet. It is said that she died on a ship on her way to India. Kellet was visiting the country to be with her family.
The best thing you can do here is to have a delicious meal from the local eateries or you can also hire ponies to take you to the hilltop. The pony trip can cost you anything between INR 500 and 700.
March to June is a good time to visit here. It is recommended that you plan a visit to Tiffin Top during the daytime, as, during this time, you will get to witness the stunning views of nature. The entry here is free. The timings to explore the place are from 8 am to 5:30 pm.
1. Snow View Point - If you want to capture the enchanting views of the snow-clad mountains, then, Snow View Point in Nainital is the kind of place you should be heading to. It is situated at an approximate distance of 2km from Nainital City. From here, the tourists get to see the Nanda-Devi Peak, Nanda Kot Peak as well as Trishul Peak. It is one of the best places to visit while on your trip to Tiffin Top.
2. GB Pant High Altitude Zoo - Situated on the Sher Ka Danda hill at a height of 7,000 feet, this zoo covers an area of 4.6 hectares. It was officially opened for the public in 1995 and was named Pt. Govind Ballabh Pant High Altitude Zoo in 2002. It is one of the three zoos in India located at such great heights, the other two being in Sikkim and Darjeeling.
3. Photography Sessions - From Tiffin Top, you can enjoy the ultimate natural views of Nainital. The huge mountains and greenery are absolutely enchanting, thus, it is a perfect opportunity for you to indulge in some really cool photography sessions with your loved ones.
4. Hiking/Pony Rides - You can also enjoy hiking and trekking here. And did we mention the pony rides? You can hire the pony from Mall Road and enjoy a unique travel experience. At the end of a tiring day, watch the sun setting behind the horizon. Can there be a better ending to a beautiful day than this?
5. Naini Lake - Famous for boating and a stroll in the evening, Naini Lake is the main attraction of Nainital. Visitors can enjoy shopping from the local souvenir shops and try native cuisine from nearby eateries.
6. Mall Road Nainital - Famous for shopping and food, the Mall Road of Nanital is the prime spot for tourists and a cultural centre of Nainital. With around hundreds of shops and restaurants, the Naini Lake is located in the centre of the town. People can eat local food and buy mementoes. During peak season, vehicles aren’t allowed in the region.
7. Eco Cave Garden - With a series of caves, hanging gardens and a musical fountain, Eco Cave Garden is a recreation park in Nainital. Here, musical fountain shows take place every evening making it a fun place to visit with kids.
8. High Altitude Zoo - Home to several endangered species like Himalayan Bear, Himalayan Civet, Hill Patridge, Tibetan Wolf and other animals, High Altitude Zoo is also known as Nainital Zoo.
This place is located 4km away from Nainital. To reach here, you will have to trek for about 10 km, passing through the Sherwood School and then descend from Bara Pathar. One can also hire a horse from Bara Pathar. It is located at an approximate distance of 306, 2,266, 1,368, 1,564 km from Delhi, Bengaluru, Kolkata, and Mumbai respectively.
By Air. The nearest airport to Tiffin Top is the Pantnagar Airport. Deboard at the Pantnagar Airport and hire a cab to reach here.
By Train. The nearest railway station is the Kathgodam Railway Station. After deboarding from your train, you will need to cover the remaining distance by a cab.
By Road. If you are planning on visiting here by road, then you can consider taking a bus. The nearest bus stand is the Tallital Bus Stand. Apart from this, you can also consider hiring a cab or taking your own vehicle if it suits you as per your budget and convenience.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here.