This Sun temple is an example of great ancient architecture which will mesmerize you to the core. As the name suggests, it has been dedicated to the Sun God and is also identified as UNESCO world heritage sites. A huge number of people visit this temple every year. One of the major highlights of this temple is the amphitheatre which hosts the Konark dance festival.
The temple is open from 6 am-8 pm. However, the best months to visit this place would be the winter months as during the summer months the overall temperature becomes very humid.
It is believed that the current temple was constructed by Narasimhadeva I, who belonged to the Eastern Ganga Dynasty. It is only a few of the Hindu Temples whose construction records can be found written in the Sanskrit language. The construction of this temple was overseen and managed by Siva Samantaraya Mahapatra.
According to many historians, this temple is believed to have been built in the 13th century. And initially consisted of two main structures namely the dance mandapa and the temple. And the smaller mandapa which has survived till now is believed to have been built sometime in 16th century or perhaps a little after.
1. ASI Museum. Situated on the very outside of the Sun Temple, this place is a must-visit if you are travelling to Konark, Odisha. Here you will be finding some really amazing artefacts and more so, it is the historical charm about this place which will draw your attention. For history buffs the place is unmissable.
2. Astaranga Beach. This beach is one of the best places to explore and dive in the serenity of nature. If you visit this place then it is highly advised to go and take an evening stroll here. Not just you will find it to be a soothing experience but you will also much likely cherish it for quite a long time.
3. Chandrabhaga Beach. Perhaps this is one of the best beaches present on the entire east coast. Here you can take joy in going for romantic evening walks with your better half. The open sky and vast ocean welcome you with open arms.
4. Ramachandi Temple. This place holds a significant spiritual charm. This temple is situated in the south-west direction of the Sun Temple. Moreover, what is really exciting about this place is the legend which has been associated with it. According to the legend, it says that the Kalapahada vowed to destroy all the Hindu worshipping temples during the 17th century.
5. Kork Beach. If you feel like having some fun then visiting Kork Beach might be of some help to you. This place is also one of the most frequently visited fun place. Thus, it won’t be wrong to say that this place will definitely be offering you some really fun memories to cherish along the way.
The sun temple is the finest specimen of architecture, religion, and science combined in one. The precision with which it has been constructed never fails to amaze the visitors even today. From Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru, the sun temple is nearly 1700km, 1800km, 500km, and 1400km away. You can plan a trip to the sun temple via airways, roadways, and railways, and some of the best options are listed below.
By Air. If you are planning to visit Sun Temple by air, then the nearest airport to get down is in Bhubaneshwar i.e, Biju Patnaik Airport. From the airport, you may take public transport such as a taxi or a bus to reach your desired destination. The airport manages the arrival and departure of domestic and international flights by airlines such as Vistara, AirIndia, IndiGo, AirAsia, GoAir, and more.
By Train. Bhubaneswar railway station is the nearest to reach the sun temple. The station witness the arrival and departure of trains from and to major cities of the country. A rail journey to Bhubaneswar will be both convenient, and economical.
By Road. Puri district has a well-maintained road network and is connected via national and state highways, which makes it highly convenient to reach here via roadways. You can either get on a tourist bus or drive to the place in your vehicle. Both ways, you will get to admire the beautiful sights along the highways and countryside.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Leave a Reply: