This island, situated far away from mainland India in the Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, has often made headlines for its surreal beaches, natural beauty, and festivals.
In fact, one of the most popular beaches here, Radhanagar Beach has even been awarded as the best beach in Asia by the TIME magazine in 2004 and is also one of the most visited beaches of India.
Havelock Island has some of Asia's best beaches, that are just perfect for swimming, elephant rides, and top-notch unexplored coral reef. Boat Rides amidst the sparkling blue waters, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the undiscovered underwater world and the white sand of the island together make this island a must-visit paradise.
Havelock island is a part of the Nicobar Islands administration and is located in the east of the Andaman Islands. It has been named after a British General Henry Havelock, who resided here when India was a colony of Britishers.
Havelock Island comprises of 5 popular villages: Govinda Nagar, Krishna Nagar, Radha Nagar, Shyam Nagar, and Bejoy Nagar that have their own beaches and beautiful shorelines. Reports state that the island accommodates the majority of the immigrant population from Myanmar and Bengal.
In 2018, the island was renamed as Swaraj Dweep as a tribute to Subhash Chandra Bose. An interesting fact about the island is that Subhash Chandra Bose hoisted the national flag on the island in 1943 before India’s independence and named Andaman Island as Shaheed Dweep and Nicobar Island as Swaraj Dweep.
Today Havelock Island or Swaraj Island is a famous tourist destination for Indian and foreign tourists alike.
1. Radhanagar Beach or Beach No. 7. Considered as Asia’s most beautiful beach, Radhanagar beach attracts tourists from across the globe. The beach has also been awarded as the best beach in India and the world’s 7th most beautiful beach by the Time Magazine. Tourists visit the beach to feel the warmth of white sands, sizzling shores, crystal blue water, and lush green forests.
2. Elephant Beach. Best beach to feel the calmness, Elephant Beach offers a wonderful escape for the honeymoon couples and for solo travelers. Imagine the unimaginable here, as the beach is known for its clear blue water, serene environment, and surreal views. Travelers can enjoy swimming, scuba diving, coral reef, snorkeling, and many other water sports and activities.
3. Kalapathar Beach. The unblemished attractiveness of the Kalapathar Beach can hypnotize anyone as it stands among the most wonderful sites of Havelock Island. Encompassed with black rocks, dazzling silver sand, and aqua green water that forms a wonderful contrast, this one is a must-visit.
4. Emerald Gecko. Emerald Gecko is a wonderful place to stay. While this resort is a bit expensive, a beautiful place with a wonderful view and a generous heap of gourmet food makes it worth every penny. This cottage resort pampers its travelers with beautifully designed bamboo cottages that offer a pleasing environment to stay in. Various bamboo lodges that are available for accommodation offer a luxurious stay.
1. Indulge in Water Sports. Andaman and Nicobar islands are visited either by nature lovers or the people who love beaches and water. Havelock Island offers a wide range of water sports to tourists such as jet-skiing, snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming, banana ride, parasailing and a lot more.
2. Taste the Local Food. Havelock island is a paradise for tourists not just for its impeccable beauty and adventure water activities but also for its spicy and delicious seafood. One may taste the local fish curry and coconut prawn curry that is prepared with locally available spices and herbs. Apart from that, seafood like lobsters, crabs, prawns, and tandoori fish are some other dishes that one has to try if in havelock Island.
1. Island Tourism Festival. If in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, one cannot miss the Island Tourism Festival which is the biggest carnival held here and is certainly the most exciting one. This festival is more like continuing the festive vibe of New Year and hence it is celebrated in January for a significant period of 10-days.
2. Beach Festival. The Beach Festival celebration is a new addition to the list of celebrations in Havelock Island. This do includes beach activities like beach volleyball, and other sports like a tug of war, kabaddi and so forth. Food courts, various other entertainment programs, fun activities are also arranged to keep visitors entertained. Read More
Any time of the year is great to visit the island as the climate remains pleasant throughout. In case you wish to visit there during the tourist season and witness the hustle bustle then a visit between November to March is great. In case you wish to avoid the crowd then plan a visit between June to September.
Havelock Island is one of the most visited places in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The island is known for its adventurous water activities, Radhanagar Beach, Cellular Jail, Ross Island, and many more exotic destinations. You too can arrive here via waterways or airways. Listed below are some of the best travel options.
By Water. Because Swaraj Dweep is surrounded by water from all sides there is no road or rail route to reach there. From Chennai, Kolkata, and Visakhapatnam, one may take government-run ships to reach the Haddo Wharf port in Port Blair. You can travel via the following ships to Andaman from mainland India.
By Air. Frequent and daily flights to Veer Savarkar international airport in Port Blair is another way to reach Havelock Island. This international airport receives flights from all the metropolitan cities of India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bengaluru and also from the neighboring countries. From the airport, one has to take the regular government-run ferries to reach the island which is approx. 65km away. You can fly with the following airlines via their direct flights to reach Andaman.
Leave a Reply: