Blessed with great flora and fauna, along with a rich history, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are one of the major tourist attractions in India. In addition, to the exotic views and destinations, this UT is also known for several promotional tourism events and festivals that are aimed at boosting tourism. One of the popular events held here is the Island Tourism Festival that is celebrated in the month of January. A dream event for islanders as well as national and international tourists, this is event is a must-visit. Also, the festival is considered as the celebration of the new year locally.
The festival is inaugurated by the Honourable Lieutenant Governor at ITF Ground in Port Blair. Several cultural programs, music concerts, food fiestas, are organized for tourists so that one can enjoy the festival to the fullest. It takes place in several cities of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands but the capital Port Blair is the main place where the festival is organized. Apart from the capital, Wimberlygunj, Shaheed Dweep, Swaraj Dweep, Mayabunder, Diglipur, Hut Bay, Car Nicobar, Kamorta, and Wandoor are some of the towns where you can experience equal enthusiasm for this fest.
1. Traditional Sports. During the festival, several sports competitions are organized to entertain the audience. Fun activities like Cock Fight, Marble, Sack Race, Mock Canoe Race, and Musical Chairs are definitely going to cheer you up.
2. Kite-Flying Competition. The famous Kite Flying Competition is absolutely the best thing one can experience here. Various types of sizes, designs, and colourful kites add a beautiful and vibrant look to the sky.
3. Art and Handicraft Exhibition. Are you a shopaholic? Well, you will also fall in love with this festival equally. While you will come across several vendors selling almost everything right from home decor to branded clothes, you will also come across several traditional stalls with items made by artistic and handcrafted skills. Shell accessories, bamboo furniture, wooden goods, coconut lamps. Also, don’t forget to visit Queen Seashell Craft and Aberdeen Bazaar.
4. Music Extravaganza. Get ready to enjoy several musical art forms performed by locals, national and international artists. Tribal musical troops, world-renowned musical troops, national and international artists perform at the musical extravaganza. Also, you will love to enjoy cultural dance performances, live music orchestra, etc.
5. Floating Restaurants. You will get to try some local and international cuisines at popular floating restaurants at the festival with soulful music. Different kinds of seafood will really make your day at the festival.
Port Blair is the capital city of Andaman and Nicobar Island. This place is an extraordinary combination of nature's beauty and urban living. If you want to explore this combination, then you cannot afford to miss this place. If you are looking for an opportunity to celebrate the Island Tourism Festival then, here is how you can reach Port Blair by the following means of transportation.
By Air. The closest airport is Veer Savarkar International Airport, also known as the Port Blair Airport (IXZ). It is a custom airport and is located at a distance of 2 km from Port Blair. This airport was renamed in 2002 after the freedom fighter Veer Damodar Savarkar. Veer Damodar Savarkar was kept in the cellular jail for 10 years.
This airport has a single runway of 3,290 m. Except for the civilian terminal which is specifically operated by the Airports Authority of India, all the other traffic operations of this airport are undertaken by the Indian Navy.
By Road. As Port Blair is situated right in the middle of the ocean, you cannot reach here by roads. However, within the islands, the overall road connectivity is very convenient. Several buses connect Port Blair to different destinations in Andaman such as Baratang Island (100km), Rangat (163km), and Diglipur (296km).
By Rail. There is no rail connectivity to the Andaman Islands. however, within the islands, a railway route between Diglipur to Port Blair will soon become a reality.
By Ship. Ships are available from Chennai, Kolkata and Visakhapatnam. One can easily find 3 to 4 ships on a monthly basis from Kolkata, Chennai and Visakhapatnam. The voyage from the sea would take an average time frame of 3-4 days and the sailing schedules for which are announced a good month beforehand. The ships normally berth at Port Blair for a period of two to four days. It is to be noted that the bookings for the same can be done only at the corporate office physically which might prove to be a little tiring process for some people.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
06 January 2020 - 20 January 2020
Leave a Reply: