West Kameng is a district in Arunachal Pradesh that has been named after a river, Kameng river, which is a tributary of river Brahmaputra. The district has so much to offer to its tourists that it has now become one of the most visited districts of Arunachal Pradesh. Places like Bhalukpong and Dirang which are the epitome of natural beauty are quite famous among the tourists. The entire district is covered with mountains and Himalayas which is another major highlight of this district.
As far as the best time to visit West Kameng is concerned, it is during winters. The climate during this time is quite pleasant and apt to explore the place to the fullest.
The geographical location of West Kameng is such that it shares borders with Tibet and Bhutan. Buddhism is followed by the majority population while the rest make up for Hindus and people from diverse tribal communities who have their own set of customs and festivals. Another tourist attraction in the district is the Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary that is home to rich biodiversity and various species of flora and fauna.
West Kameng district is also home to the highest peak in the state which is known as Kangte. The climate here in the district is mostly cold hence one is required to take warm clothes. Many tribal groups also live here and follow their unique culture. On a visit to West Kameng one can explore the scenic beauty of the place, several tribal communities, monasteries and much more.
1. Sessa Orchid Sanctuary. The Sessa Orchid Sanctuary covers a range of 100 sq. km. area, it also occupies Doimara and Tenga reserve forests in itself. Not just the forests but also the deep valleys, and high hills alongside the forest are the key attractions of the sanctuary that grab the eyeballs. Over 200 species of orchids, hills, valleys, rivers, animal species like red panda and pheasant and much more are found here.
2. Dirang Valley. Once you visit the Dirang valley, it will steal your heart and will leave you stunned with its mesmerizing beauty. It’s pleasant weather, high peaks that are known for hot water springs and apple orchards are a few attractions that make tourists visit the district from across the country. Not just beauty, the valley is the best place for bird watchers, and trekkers.
3. Bomdila Monastery. Bomdila Monastery is known as a religious destination that denotes the spirit of Buddhism. Positioned close to the Tipi Orchid Research Center, devotees who follow the Mahayana Buddhism visit this place from time to time to offer prayers.
4. Apple Orchards. Bomdila is known for the apple orchards spread over a large area where one may admire the beauty of huge trees and the fragrance of apples in the air. The place is one of the main attractions for tourists and apple lovers. Tourists may also buy apples at cheap prices directly from the farmers.
5. R.R. Hill. A famous tourist spot where a large number of tourists visit every year. The scenic beauty of this place lures a large number of visitors. The roads that connect to the hill also touches Bhutan’s border.
6. Tipi Orchidarium. This place is known for rafting and fishing facilities. Spread in an area of 10 hectares, this land features museums, labs, herbarium, and gardens.
7. Craft Centre And Ethnographic Museum. Enjoy the essence of hand-woven carpets, wall hangings, at this crafts museum in Arunachal Pradesh. The items that are displayed here are made by local artisans from naturally available elements like wood etc.
West Kameng district is one of the most visited places in Arunachal Pradesh. Upper Gompa, Chillipam monastery, Sangti Valley, and Tippi Orchid Research Center are a few tourist destinations that receive the highest footfall in the district. You too can arrive here conveniently owing to a well-developed network of roadways, airways, and railways. The distance to West Kameng from metro cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru is approx. 2,200, 3,000, 1,300 and 3,100 km respectively. Consider the below-mentioned information regarding different routes and modes of transportation to travel to Arunachal Pradesh.
By Road. Travelling to Arunachal Pradesh by road can be a journey of a lifetime. The state is well connected via roadways and offers the opportunity to witness the beauty alongside the highways on your way to West Kameng. One may also reserve a seat on the inter-state tourist bus or take the personal vehicle to reach West Kameng. In case you are arriving from nearby cities or states then the below-mentioned information will help you plan the itinerary.
By Rail. Bhalukpong train station is the nearest railway station to West Kameng. The station is well-connected to all the metropolitan cities of India and is approx. 132km away from the main West Kameng district. From the railway station, one may take any local transport such as a taxi or a bus to reach the district.
By Air. Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, located in Guwahati is the nearest airport to reach the West Kameng district. There are frequent scheduled direct and connecting flights from all parts of India. From the airport, one has to cover a distance of approx. 345km to reach West Kameng. You can travel with the following airlines via their direct flights to Guwahati airport.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here