When thinking about Kerala, Periyar National Park, Thekkady naturally comes out to be on the top as famous travel getaways. This park is located in Thekkady, a town situated in Idukki district and is quite a cherished place to explore. Famous for its diverse wildlife and plantations, the grasslands along with deciduous forests are the highlighting factor of Thekkady. It is no less than heaven when it comes to discovering natural spices like black pepper, cardamom, ginger, clove and many others.
Thekkady is a place which is all about experiencing cool boat rides, having fun with elephants, taking long walks in the blissful beauty of nature, staying up late in the cool and shady tree houses and yes last but not the least witnessing the impeccable beauty of the birds while relaxing in nature.
If you are planning a trip to Thekkady then the best time to visit this place is from the month of October to February. During the summer months, the tourists may not find the temperatures to be very suitable as per their needs.
1. Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Situated on the banks of the Periyar, this sanctuary is all about exploring the best wildlife views which nature has to offer. It comes under the protected area placed in the Idukki and Pathanamthitta districts of Kerala. Travelling to this place, you can hope to witness a great variety of animal species like elephants, Bengal tigers, gaurs, sambars, wild pigs, Indian giant squirrels and many more.
2. Mangla Devi Temple. Built in the name of Kannaki it is no less than a legendary temple. The legend says that Kannaki was the woman who, around 2,000 years ago, had burnt down an entire town. She had done so after being wronged by the then king. Thus, it was her tale of love, loss and vengeance which inspired the foundation of this temple. And presently being a famous tourist attraction, this temple sees thousands of devotees flocking at this place on an annual basis.
3. Murikkady. Kerala is known for its spice plantations and along with it is also known for its coffee and cardamom gardening. The feeling of the gentle breeze kissing your cheeks and ruffling your hair will certainly be making you a lot happier.
4. Abraham’s Spice Garden. It's a place worth visiting for exploring the spice culture of Kerala. Now, what’s really interesting is that you may also get a chance to hang out a little with the agriculturists here and even know them personally and chat a little about knowing Thekkady, its history and heritage.
5. Kumily. It is an adorable town located in Kerala. The engaging aura of this place is quite interesting to explore and adding the exuberant jungles, the vast skies is totally an ideal place to discover. Furthermore, Kumily is also extremely famous for its spices and tea plantations as well.
6. Chellarkovil. This quaint village is a combination of solitude and peace. And perhaps, this is a good reason due to which it attracts a good number of tourists on an annual basis. Moreover, the Shimmering light of the Sun reflects on the cascading waterfalls creating a mesmerizing spell of nature’s magic upon the tourists.
Thedakky, Kerala is situated at a distance of about 2,645, 1,499, 2,232, 510 km from Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru respectively. Here are the details on how you can reach Thekkady by the following means of public transport.
By Air. Thekkady does not have its own airport and the nearest airport from this region is the Madurai Airport situated at a distance of around 136 km. The airport is well connected with other Indian cities and after you deboard here, the best option would be to hire a cab to reach your respective destination.
By Train. The nearest railway station is located in Kottayam located at an approximate distance of 110-115 km away from this place. This railhead has good connectivity with other Indian cities. From the station, you can easily hire a cab or some other means of locally available transport to reach here.
By Road. Thekaddy is quite well connected with roads to other regions. You can easily board interstate/private buses from nearby cities and states. Otherwise, you can also hire private taxis or use your personal vehicles to reach here.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here