One of the most beautiful beaches in India, Promenade Beach is all about exploring the golden sands, the crisp unending waters and lots of fun. It is said that one cannot resist walking through the shore of Promenade Beach, such is the spell-binding beauty of this place. It is a beautiful rocky beach with incredible picturesque views for the tourists.
The beach can be visited between 5 am to 8 pm. And, the best months are from October to March.
1. Statue of Gandhi. The statue of Gandhi is one of the best places which you could be visiting with your loved ones. It is a major landmark which you should be visiting with your loved ones. Looking at the statue will instill a sense of deep wonder in you.
2. French War Memorial. The French War Memorial is specifically dedicated to the French residents of India who had died for the country during the first world war. And this is all the more of a reason to visit the place.
3. Old Light House. This lighthouse was constructed in the nineteenth century by the French rulers. However, a new lighthouse was constructed in the 20th century by the government of India too. If you want to see something historical then, you will be absolutely delighted seeing the beauty of this place.
4. Statue of Dupleix. Dupleix was born in France. He was a famous voyager and had made several voyages to America and India and was even named as the member of the superior council at Pondicherry. Dupleix had a great sense of doing business as well as additional duties. He had even made large ventures on his own acquiring a fortune from them. It was in his memory that this statue was built.
5. Pondicherry Museum. This is basically an art and history museum and is quite famous for it’s a wide range of collection of fine lost-wax bronzes from the period of the Chola Empire. This museum’s collection is inclusive of 81 Chola bronze sculptures which is an amazing site to view.
6. Bharati Government Park. Bharati Park, also known as the Government Park is situated in the green centre of the French Town offering its lush trees providing ample relief from the scorching sun on a very hot summer day. Here you can also see children playing in the ponds, on the hill or in the traffic park. Overall, it is a great place to visit around with loved ones for having a unique experience.
Promenade beach receives huge tourist footfall for its captivating sights, restaurants, handicraft market, and lip-smacking seafood. The beach is visited by locals and tourists alike for morning/evening walks, and to witness sunrise and sunset. Promenade beach is 2300km via NH 44, 1200km via NH 48, 1800km via NH 16, and 313km via NH 77 from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Bengaluru, respectively.
By Air. Pondicherry Airport is the nearest to Promenade beach. After deboarding the flight at the airport, you will need to either take a bus or a taxi to cover a distance of nearly 6km to reach the beach. Airlines like SpiceJet run regular flights to Puducherry, hence you may plan an air trip to this Union Territory town if budget is not a constraint.
By Train. Tirupadripulyur railway station is the nearest to reach Promenade beach. Trains from all parts of the country arrive here regularly hence, you may plan a rail journey from any part of the country to Puducherry. After deboarding the train, you can hire a taxi or get on a bus to travel another 23 km to reach the beach.
From Chennai - Board MS TPJ Express from Chennai Central and deboard at Tirupadripulyur station
By Road. The connectivity via road is also quite good, thus, it would be convenient and economical for you to travel by road. You may also consider travelling by tourist buses that run at regular intervals from the nearby prominent cities to Puducherry.