Kolli Hills is located in Namakkal district, Tamil Nadu which is popularly known for Agaya Gangai Waterfall. A great place for trekking, so much so that one can definitely ensure an adventurous time here. Every year, the place is visited by a great number of tourists.
And apart from the fascinating beauty of nature, Kolli Hills is also famous for the presence of the local deity - Kolli Pavai. Some believe that till today, the deity resides in these mountains. For the same reason, many also fear a little while visiting this place.
The destination will keep you lured with its atmospheric charm all year round. But, it is advisable to avoid visiting in the winter months due to considerable dropdowns in temperature.
Featured in several works of classical Tamil literature, Kolli Hills is believed to have been ruled by Valvil Ori in 200 AD. He was praised to have been one of the greatest philanthropists of his times. This is something which is also supported through the art of many poets in the local folklore about him.
Talking about the local folklore, it is also believed that these hills have been guarded by the local deity Ettukkai Amman. Yes, legends state that in the past, few sages chose this region for their sadhana.
However, very soon, the place was invaded by the demons. The demons had come there to disrupt the Tapasya of the sages. It was then, that the sages taking the gravity of the situation into account, called upon the local deity Ettukkai Amman, also known as Kollipavai who chased the demons away, thus leaving the seers in peace.
It is even believed that Chanakya, the author of Arthashastra was born in the area before he travelled to North India for pursuing higher education.
1. Botanical Garden, Kolli Hills. Botanical Garden is one of the best places for a get-together. An accomplished tourist destination consisting of beautiful Rose Garden, View-Point, Eco-friendly cottages and fun-filled Children’s Park, it is a must-visit place.
2. Arapaleeswarar Temple. Holding the cultural and historical significance, the temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The skillful architecture of this place will simply fascinate you.
3. Tampcol Medicinal Farm. Observing and exploring medical farms is absolutely an interesting activity. Here, you will get to know about the different species of plants.
4. Trekking. Enjoy the adventurous time while trekking to the Agaya Gangai Waterfalls which is around 300ft in height. Many trekkers will agree that the place is just kind of perfect for the activity.
5. Boat House. Just 5 kilometres away from the city centre of Vasalurpatty, the boathouse is located on an artificial lake. The atmospheric elements such as lush green surroundings here are very inviting.
By Air. Trichy Domestic Airport is the nearest aerodrome from the Kolli Hills. After deboarding at the airport, you will need to cover the remaining distance via some means of public transportation like a cab.
By Train. Salem is the nearest railhead to the Kolli Hills comprising a 90 Kilometres distance. After deboarding at the station, you will need to cover the remaining distance by some means of public transportation like a cab.
By Road. There are private as well as government-owned buses that are well-connected to Tamil Nadu state. Otherwise, you can also consider travelling by your own vehicle.