Jatayu Earth’s Center aka Jatayu Nature Park is situated in Jatayupara near Chadayamangalam town in Kollam district, Kerala. The park consists of a vast statue of Jatayu which is designed and built by the famous sculptor and filmmaker Rajiv Anchal. With the statue measuring 200 ft long, 150 ft wide and 70 ft height, it is the world's largest functional bird sculpture. The nature park is spread over 65 acres.
The destination has also bagged recognition by the Guinness Book of World Records. It is believed that it is the place where the great mythological character Jatayu sat and took his last breath after getting defeated by Ravana. The building of Jatayu Nature Park was to introduce people with a magnificent and picturesque Jatayupara in Kollam.
While the project was a challenge for the Tourism of Kerala Department, the consistency and determination made it possible. It took 2 years to work on the project. It is built ensuring there is no bad effect on the ecosystem. The foremost challenge was the availability of water. For that, the dam was made between two rock valleys that now possibly has the capacity of storing twenty lakh units of water. Also, there is a provision of rainwater storing. The authority’s aim is not only to cater the visitors with a majestic artistic sculpture of Jatayu that is a symbol of courage and loyalty but also introduce them to the nature of Jatayupara and its flora and fauna. For that, they formed an agricultural society. Soon, the nearby regions of Jatayu Nature Park will be occupied by organic products' stalls for the visitors.
Jatayu Nature Park is built after the famous mythological character Jatayu in Ramayana, whose honesty and bravery gave him an eternal place. It was him who, when Sita was kidnapped by Ravana, indulged in a serious fight with the demon King and made a courageous attempt to save Sita. Unfortunately, he could not free Sita from the clutches of Ravana. But, the incident shows a gesture of bravery and helpfulness of Jatayu, making him a significant character to remember and learn from.
1. Digital Museum. Inside the nature park, there is a digital museum. Here, visitors will enjoy the light and sound show related to significant events from the epic Ramayana.
2. Jatayu Rock. It is one of the main attractions of the nature park that gives visitors mind-boggling views.
3. Thangassery Lighthouse. It is situated at Tangasseri in Kollam city. It's one of the two lighthouses in the Kollam Metropolitan Area. The lighthouse is maintained by Cochin Directorate General of Lighthouses and Lightships.
4. Theatre at Jatayu Nature Park. Get inside the wings of Jatayu sculpture to witness the play that describes the war between Ravana and Jatayu. The play is shown in 6D which is a great experience for kids as well as adults.
5. Jatayu Passenger Ropeway Park. One of the best ways to explore the Jatayu Nature Park is experiencing passenger ropeway. The Switzerland based cable car provides an international safety standard.
6. Adventure Park. Spreads across 20 acres of land, this provides you with an array of activities to enjoy. Right from trekking to mountain biking to rock climbing to archery and many other activities, you have a plethora to enjoy and experience.
7. Palaruvi Waterfalls. The waterfall is located in Kollam district in Kerala, India. The 32nd highest falls in India consists of a height of 300 ft.
The Jatayu Nature Park also referred to as the gem of Kerala’s Kottam district. It hosts the largest bird sculpture of Jatayu that makes the place recognizable among a lot of nature lovers. It is situated at a distance of (approx) 2817 km from the capital city Delhi. Here is how you can reach Jatayu Park.
By Air. Deboard at Trivandrum International Airport that is merely 51.2 km away from Jatayu Park. From the airport, book a cab or some other means of public transportation to reach your destination.
By Train. The nearest railway station to Jatayu Nature Park is Punalur railway station as it lies at a distance of (approx) 25 km only. While traveling via train, you get to witness the beautiful landscapes of this region.
By Road. When traveling by bus, you need to reserve a ticket to Chadayamangalam bus stand either by Kerala state road transport buses or other portals from nearby regions. You can also plan to take private cabs or self-drive here.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Leave a Reply: