Amindivi is another exotic island that is worth visiting for a vacation. Located in the northern part of Lakshadweep, the island is known for beachside activities, picturesque views, sparkling azure water, golden sand, and simply magnetic views of sunrise and sunsets. Coral reefs, lagoons, and coconut trees only add to the beauty and ambience of the island. Amindivi island over the years has become a favourite destination for romantic travellers and nature lovers.
Months between October and May are great to visit Amindivi as the weather during this time is great to wander on the beaches and explore the island to the fullest. Summer and monsoon seasons are not so great as one might have to deal with the hot and humid weather during this time.
Locals claim that the name Amindivi came from the Arabic word ‘Amin’ which means faithful. However, there lies another popular belief related to the name of Amindivi. According to it, the name came from the word ‘Amini’ which connotes a heavenly place. Amindivi island is one of the most inhabited islands of Lakshadweep, having a population of around 7K people as per the 2011 census.
The island is 220 nautical miles away from Kochi and is spread in an area of approximately 3 square kilometres. Besides being a naturally beautiful place, Amindivi is known across the country for its coir products (products made from coconut fibre). Every year tourists from all over India arrive here to witness the ethereal beauty of this island.
1. Tortoise and Coconut Shell Handicrafts. Tourists will come across many creative home decor and handicraft items made from coconut or tortoiseshell in the local market and beachside shacks. These handmade items can be great for gifting or statement pieces to enhance your personal space. Walking sticks made from tortoise shells or coconut shells are a fast-selling article among all the items.
2. Water Sports. Lakshadweep and its islands are on every traveller's list who love water sports. Like all the other islands of Lakshadweep, tourists can indulge in numerous water sports such as snorkelling, scuba diving, parasailing, glass-bottomed boat ride, and swimming at the beaches of Amindivi.
3. Nature’s Own spa. Amindivi Islands are perfect for kissing goodbye to all your life stress. Lounge on the beaches relishing the most delicious seafood. And when you get bored of all these, just sail around and visit the neighbouring islands.
4. Water Sports. Here you can enjoy a bountiful of water sports such as swimming, scuba diving etc. Tourists who come here make sure these things are part of their travel package.
5. Parties. Yes, not only can you sit in the lap of nature and relax, but you can also party hard here. There are a lot of choices here for fun, ranging from private beach experiences, dinner parties, in-house entertainment, fun events to spas and so much more. Here you can do more than just lying around in sands near water.
Because Amindivi is an island surrounded by the Arabian sea on all sides, rail and road route is not available. One can only reach the island only by water and airways that major operate from Kochi city in Kerala.
By Water. Tourists can opt to travel via 7 passenger ships that operate between Agatti island and Kochi. MV Amindivi, MV Minicoy, MV Arabian Sea, MV Lagoon, MV Kavaratti, MV Lakshadweep, and MV Corals. One may reach Lakshadweep in 14 to 18 hours depending upon the route of the passenger ship.
By Air. Agatti Airport is the nearest airport to reach Amindivi island. Air India flights from Kochi to Agatti airport are very frequent hence one may consider travelling by air if you don’t wish to spend hours travelling by water.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Leave a Reply: