Also famous as Maliku, Minicoy island is an adorable destination situated amid the mighty Arabian sea. What makes this island worth travelling to is its simple beauty. There is practically every reason why you should be planning a trip to Minicoy Island. Being the second-largest island in Lakshadweep, Minicoy Island is all about making new memories and having some real fun. And the fact that it has been covered with coconut trees, this island comes across as a very interesting travelling option to explore.
However, this travel getaway also has a somewhat negative reputation. Yes, there are some cannibals scattered all over which comes across as a thing to worry about. In the local language, this place was known as Minikaa-raajje. The meaning of this word is the Cannibal Kingdom.
The most suitable time to visit Minicoy Island is during the winter season and the onset of summers. It is overall a great time for sightseeing activities and exploring the place around.
The ancient name of this place was Mahiladu, which fundamentally means women’s island. The name Minicoy Island has been derived from one of the Arab trader’s term for the island itself which is known as Jazirat al-Maliku. The locals had settled here a long time ago. It is said that once upon a time, a British Official was roaming around this place. On meeting one of the local islanders, he asked him what the name of this place was? The islander told him that he was from Maliku, however, the islander was not from here. He himself resided in Minikka raajje. So, the official, amid a certain sense of confusion, thought that both the names were the same and he mixed them both ending up with Minikaa. Later on, Minikaa became Minicoy.
1. Lighthouse. This lighthouse was constructed in 1885 by the Britishers. Being one of the oldest lighthouses in Lakshadweep, it carries a certain sense of charm about it. Standing tall at an immense height of approximately 160-170 feet, the lighthouse has been a centre of attraction for a long time now.
2. Juma Masjid. This masjid is of immense significance both in historical as well as religious terms. Believed to be built during the medieval period, this masjid is also home to a collection of rare artefacts.
3. Agatti Islands. It is the only island known for having an airstrip. Apart from that, this place is also well renowned for its water sport activities. And whatever’s left is lavished upon by the breathtaking flora and fauna. It is one of the best places to visit in Lakshadweep.
4. Go for Scuba Diving in Lakshadweep. Overall, Lakshadweep is a gem of a place to discover and explore the raw beauty of nature. And while on your trip, one of the best ways to have fun would be to go for scuba diving.
5. Bangaram Island. It is one of the largest islands in the atoll. And the brackish pond located in the very centre of this island makes the overall beauty of the travel getaway worth giving a shot.
Travelling to Minicoy Island via road or train is not possible. The best way to reach here is through flight network.
By Air. The nearest airport from Minicoy Island is the Trivandrum airport. It has good connectivity with other cities like Delhi, Pune, Mumbai, Chandigarh. After you deboard your flight you would need to further cover a distance of around 398 km. For this, you can hire a boat to reach out to this place.
Leave a Reply: