A paradise tucked in Maharashtra, Durshet is a popular weekend getaway that is in close proximity to Mumbai and Pune. One of the greatest reasons behind its growing popularity is its strategic location and scenic marvels. This quaint village is located in the lap of beautiful Sahyadri ranges and is close to the banks of river Amba which harmonizes the ecosystem of the region. Besides its nature reserves that include exotic flora and fauna, rolling hills, verdant valleys, shimmering rivers, and cascading waterfalls, this hidden gem is also replete in historically significant places, temples etc. A gamut of experiential pleasures packed in one place serves as a highlighting factor for Durshet Tourism.
A little-known fact is that Durshet served as a battlefield for Umberkhind when the Great Shivaji Maharaj fought Kartalab Khan.
Ideal for trekkers, nature lovers, history buffs, bikers and adventure junkies, this stunning village near Khopoli is getting even more prominent on the tourist map. So check out the tourist attractions in Durshet and things to do which will make your trip worth remembering. Visit here before it gets overcrowded!
1. Pali Fort. Perched on the top of the hill, Pali Fort is one of the most adventurous places to visit in Durshet. The massive fort complex comprises Sarasgad and Sudhagad Fort which are twin forts from the 2nd century. Besides its imposing heritage value, this magnificent fort serves as a great vantage point and heaven for photographers, thrill seekers, trekkers, history buffs, and nature lovers. The fort is located in close proximity to Durshet so you can plan a day trip to discover this historical marvel.
2. Uddhar Hot Springs. One of the prime tourist spots of Durshet, Uddhar Hot Spring is the perfect place for getting rejuvenated. It is visited by a large number of people as the water of this hot spring possesses many healing properties. Besides its healing properties and serene surroundings, this place also holds a mythological significance. According to legends, Jatayu, the bird in Ramayana left for a heavenly abode at this spot. So make sure you visit these three springs that are located close to Pali Ganesha Temple. Two of the springs are covered while one is open. There are separate springs for women and men so that they can bathe comfortably. Don’t forget to carry an extra pair of clothes.
Click here to book hotel
3. Durshet Forest Lodge. Your trip to Durshet will be incomplete if you don’t set foot at this sprawling jungle lodge that is spreading over 35 acres. It is the best tourist attraction in Durshet that is heaven for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts. Set amidst the verdant forest, the property offers captivating vistas of stunning Sahyadri ranges. Also, river Amba passes right across the property which is another attraction for the tourists. You can enjoy night safari, rappelling, rock climbing, kayaking, and many other activities in this beautiful forest lodge.
4. Varad Vinayak Temple. Durshet is also known for its ancient temples that are symbolic of religious sentiments right from the bygone eras. One such temple that must be on your itinerary is Varad Vinayak temple which dates back to 1725 AD. This beautiful temple of Lord Ganesha was commissioned by Peshva Sardar Ramji Mahadev Varad Vinayak Biwalkar. The temple houses an intricately carved marble statue of Varad Vinayak which remains covered in vermilion. The captivating sight of the figure is the prime attraction along with brilliant architecture that includes a 25 ft high dome, Gomukh, and carved pillars.
5. Shri Ballaleshwar Ashtavinayak. Shri Ballaleshwar temple is a very popular temple that is visited by a large number of Shri Ballaleshwar devotees. Dating back to 1760 AD, this magnificent temple houses two sections. There are two lakes flowing near the temple which adds to the serenity and blissful vibes of the temple that displays the ancient European style of architecture.
1. Day and Night Jungle Safari. Discover unique flora and fauna in Durshet by taking day or night safaris depending on your endurance level. Right from the crack of dawn to sundown, you can capture the beauty of verdant forests and animals in their natural habitat.
Also Read. 10 Most Amazing Wildlife Safaris In India
2. River Rafting. Raise the bar of thrill by indulging in river rafting and many other water sports such as kayaking, river crossing, rappelling, etc in the gurgling waters of River Kundalika. There are an array of clubs that host various adventure activities for the tourists.