Kashmir which was earlier only referred to the Kashmir valley is now an important region of the state of Jammu and Kashmir. It comprises of many important tourist locations and is a significant part of the Indian subcontinent. Though the entire region is distributed amongst India, Pakistan, and China, 43% of land and 70% of the population of Kashmir is a part of India. This place is the world’s most militarized zone and has seen many wars but still, its beauty is quite intact. The region is a host of the biggest Hindu pilgrimage yatra which is widely known as Amarnath Yatra devoted to Lord Shiva. To reach Kashmir, one has to land into the capital city Srinagar that has the largest airport and is connected to all prime Indian cities. Visitors can reach anywhere by hiring taxis from the city.
Places to visit in Kashmir
Srinagar: Srinagar is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit in Kashmir. If you are looking for something peaceful, serene, beautiful then Srinagar is the kind of place which you must be definitely visiting with your loved ones. The lush green valleys of this place will simply mesmerize you in all its might. Read more...
Sonamarg: Sonamarg is quite an endless route of stunningly mind-blowing flowers throughout the valley. If you ever visit this place then the enchanting and breathtaking views of this place will charm you with their amazing aura. This is the kind of experience which everybody should be having at least once in their lives.
Leh: The huge mountains of Leh are out and out amazing. Leh is one of the best and quite a safe place to visit with your loved ones in Kashmir during the summer months. Moreover, this place is on the hit list of every biker’s bucket list. Clad in beauty and owing to the love of nature, Leh offers some of the most iconic and breath-taking views of the place. Read more...
Things to do in Kashmir
- Go For That Shikara Ride: A Shikara ride can offer you an amazing eclectic beauty of Kashmir. The beauty of these distant mountains takes you through a ride across the whole lake. Moreover, going away from the hustle and bustle of city life will help you relax and rejuvenate.
- Visit Gulmarg Golf Club: Now this is one of the most offbeat things which you could do in Jammu and Kashmir. Interestingly, the Gulmarg Golf Club is coveted as one of the largest clubs consisting of 18 holes altogether. And, playing Golf here will prove to be one of the most satisfying experiences of your life.
- Gondola Cable Car Ride: Riding the Gondola cable car is one of the most exciting as well as fun things to specifically do in Kashmir for people of all the ages. However, it needs to be seen that the tourists also prefer to specifically travel via the cable car to enjoy some of the best views of the snowcapped mountains.
Events and festivals in & around Kashmir
- Eid Ul Fitr: During this festival, Namaz is offered at least six times a day and the fast is broken with feasting. Celebrated on the last day of Ramazan, this festival is very popular across the globe. One reason being the massive Muslim population which is there in the world.
- Hemis Festival: Hemis Gompa is one of the largest monastery situated in Ladakh and it is there that Hemis festival is celebrated with amazing pomp and show. Moreover, this day has been declared as the state holiday. If you ever visit Kashmir then this should be on the top priority on your list of festivals to attend.
- Gurez Festival: Gurez is the name of a valley which is specifically situated in the Himalayas at an elevated height of around 8,000 feet. Moreover, this breathtaking valley has got a plethora of scenic views as it particularly lies on the ancient Silk Route. Furthermore, this place is just the right tourist destination for river rafting. During this festival, everyone assembles for the fest which also specifically involves some of the fun activities like river rafting, trekking, etc. Moreover, there are many competitions such as painting and drawing which also take place and also witness huge participation from people.
Best time to visit Kashmir
Generally, the best times to visit Kashmir is particularly during the spring months of March to early – May. However, if you also want to visit from the months of March to October when the weather is quite perfect and flowers and alpine meadows blossom quite beautifully.
How to reach Kashmir?
- By Air – The nearest airport is situated in Sri Nagar which is very well connected to all the cities. And after reaching the airport the visitors here can hire taxis for the purpose of reaching various cities, destinations and the towns of Kashmir.
- By Train – The Jammu Tawi Railway Station is specifically situated at a distance of about 330km. And the nearest railhead serves the most beautiful valley of Kashmir.
- By Road – The state of Kashmir is quite well connected by the road networks. So, if you want then you can either take a bus or even travel by your vehicle by road to Kashmir. However, a bus may prove to be really a cheap means of transportation for you.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Jammu And Kashmir