The capital city of the state of Jammu & Kashmir has everything to make you fall in love with this place. The ambience, the beauty, the richness of culture, the Dal Lake, the colourful Shikharas and what not! It is known to be as the summer capital of the state. The beautiful houseboats in the middle of the lakes is an experience worth taking. The city is undoubtedly the largest one in the state of Jammu & Kashmir and is the landing spot for all your tourist destinations in and around the state. It is an epitome of beauty and a reflection of the culture and traditions of the state. The city has some of the most amazing views and experiences which can make the people coming from worldwide stay for longer periods of time. Dal Lake is the major tourist attraction of the city. The airport of Srinagar is the biggest in the state and is connected to all prime cities of the nation. People can get transport for every tourist location near this city itself.
Places to visit in Sri Nagar
- Dal Lake: Dal Lake is considered as the jewel of Srinagar. It won’t be wrong to say that Dal Lake is more or less an amazing visual depiction of the town itself. It is one of the most photogenic stretches situated in this particular place. If you ever visit Srinagar then Dal Lake must be on your travel bucket list.
- Mughal Gardens: As the name suggests these gardens were particularly built in the era of Mughals. We can say that this garden is a combination of Nishat Bagh, Shalimar Gardens and Chasm-e-shahi. Moreover, the most prominent feature of these gardens are the cascading fountains which are definitely a must watch for anyone.
- Nishat Bagh: Nishat Bagh was built in the year 1633. It is very interesting to know that this tourist spot is also known as the Garden of Joy particularly owing to its phenomenal beauty. The picturesque landscapes along with the long avenues of Chinar make the whole place immensely beautiful.
Things to do in Sri Nagar
- Visit Shankaracharya Temple: The Shankaracharya temple is also known by the name of Jyesteshwara temple. Situated on the Shankaracharya hill this temple has immense charm and aura which will make you fall in love with it. Now, this is needless to say that the divine vibes of this temple which will make you stay for longer periods of time.
- Trekking: Srinagar is the kind of city which offers the tourists with all kinds of scope of things to get themselves indulged into such as skiing, eating out at modern and traditional restaurants and even trekking on the beautiful hilltops.
- Shopping: Shopping for your loved ones would be a great idea, isn’t it? And when you are in Kashmir then there are a lot of options to consider such as Pashminas, papièr mâchè bangles, carved wooden boxes, embroidered scarves, wicker baskets, silver jewellery, spices, and Kashmiri carpets and what not!
Events and festivals in & around Srinagar
- Navroz Festival – It is a 9-day long festival which is celebrated by the Shia in the Muslim community in the months of March and April. During this time, people gather around in mosques and offer their prayers in the form of Namaz along with greeting each with a hearty embrace. Wearing new clothes and preparing delicious food items is a part of this festival.
- Naureh Mavas – Naureh Mavas is specifically held on the 15th day of the dark fortnight of Chaitra Month.
- Ganga Ashtami – The Ganga Ashtami is known as the day of performing the shraddhas in the memory of the departed souls.
Best time to visit in Sri Nagar
If you are planning a trip to Srinagar then the best time suitable for you would be between the months of April and October.
How to reach Sri Nagar?
- By Air – Sheikh Ul Alam Airport is the nearest airport. So, if you are looking for a cheap and reliable method of travelling to Kashmir then flight booking is the best option to go with.
- By Road – Srinagar is a city which is very well connected with other towns and cities by road. So, if you are planning to visit Srinagar by road then taking a bus or driving on your own are the options worth considering.
- By Train – If you are planning to visit Srinagar by train then for that firstly you would need to visit Jammu Tawi or Udhampur railway station. These stations are very well connected with parts of India.
You can plan your trip and create your own route to the city with Adotrip’s technically driven circuit planner. Click here
Jammu And Kashmir